Bob’s Spice Rubbed Salmon with Cilantro-Lime Butter

Spice rubbed salmon, a delicious grilled salmon recipe.

I love the results of grilled food, both from our gas and charcoal Webers and think the aroma of a steak or burger wafting from those hot grates is about the best smell ever, but have to admit I’m not a fan of the task of grilling. I’d much rather be in the kitchen chopping, dicing, fussing, sautéing, stirring, simmering, stewing, and braising, or sitting in the shade in my lawn chair with my glass of wine, watching someone grill.

So with all that said, I’m so very excited to announce that we now have a griller in the house. Bob received a certificate to a cooking class from Son Sean and Daughter-in-Law Stacey for Christmas. Sean suggested Bob enroll in the baking class because there would be more “chicks” there, (thanks Son) but after a long study of the lineup,  Bob chose the grilling class. So off he went to Kitchen Table Cooking School over at Landmark last week.  I was stunned with his first solo meal off our home grill, after his class to learn how to cook Spiced Rubbed Salmon With Cilantro-Lime Butter.  Let’s take a look.

First of all, take a look at this impressive and rich-colored blend of spices for the rub.  The aroma was intoxicating.

• 2 T. Chili Powder
  • 2 T. Paprika
  • 1 T. Smoked Paprika
  • 1 t. Cayenne
  • 2 t. Garlic Powder
  • 1 T. Cumin
  • 2 t. Black Pepper

Place ingredients in a small bowl and blend together.

Pat salmon filets dry, slather in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, sprinkle on rub and rub into salmon.  Grill to desired doneness.

This is a photo after that wonderful Cilantro-Lime Butter oozed itself over and into the salmon. This salmon was perfectly cooked, juicy, tender and crazy with flavor. Hands down some of the best salmon I’ve ever had. An impressive outcome for Bob’s first grilling project, especially since the wind was blowing a gale and it was cold out there and fish can be tricky to start with.

Let’s take a look at the Cilantro-Lime Butter recipe.

Look at this guy, one class and he’s a better chopper than I’ve ever been.

Cilantro-Lime Butter

• 4 T. Butter, room temperature
  • 2 T. Cilantro, chopped
  • 2 T. Italian Parsley, chopped
  • 1 T. Honey
  • 1/2 Lime, juiced
  • Salt and pepper

Place ingredients together in a small bowl and mix together.

A delicious meal!

Spice Rubbed Salmon with Cilantro-Lime Butter…It’s What’s for Dinner.

Comments

Looks like Bob’s got it going. I just enroled in an online cooking school – figure it’s time to learn the basics, like how to heat up a pan – which I didn’t know. The salmon looks delicious and since I get stuck cooking it tha same ole way, I like getting the new recipes – especially the cilantro-lime butter. Bev loves to sit with me and sip wine while I grill and I like for her to do it. Today it’s grilling tomorrow it could be a grilling blog – “Charcoal, Lea Ann, and Z”

Yum and I LOVE the cilantro lime butter. Going to use that on lots of things, Lea Ann!
    I have to cook stovetop…no grilling here, but imagine this will still be fabulous!

Barbara that butter is delicious. The addition of honey is marvelous. I love grilled food so much that I will continue…even if Bob finds it’s not his “thing”. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

What a great gift and it looks like he picked the right class! Your son’s comment was too funny…can’t wait to have to deal with comments like that – mine in only 2 but I know it’s in my future! LOL!

Salmon happens to be one of my favorite things and this recipe looks so full of flavor I must try it! LOVE the butter!

Thanks for your nice comment on my blog :)

I cracked up when he said it! Yes, you have awhile before the ornery comments commence. That butter was really really really good. Loved the honey in it. You’re welcome, you really take nice photos.

I was so worried that this seasoning was going to be overwhelming…I’ve always used a milder approach. It was delicious. I waak wath a gaall fram Bastan….no need to explain the accent. LOL

“Ooozed itself over and into the salmon” … that’s funny and delicious-sounding. I think you and I have the same affinity for toppings :-)

I am the same way about grilling – looks like I need to send my Dad to class! This looks insanely good and I bet that lime butter would be good on a multitude of things!

I just thawed some salmon, I have some cilantro…and this is literally making me want to run down to the kitchen and get started. I admit…I am something of a grilling fool; unless there is a blinding blizzard I will venture outside all year. I do love the flavor but that cleanup ease is sure high on the list too.

So enjoying your hubs classes…keep’em coming! :)

Hope you like the recipe Barb, if not blame the cooking school! :-) I love grilled food so much that I will grill in some pretty inclement weather…but I’m thrilled I now have someone to take over the duties. See you Saturday.

Good going Bob. Your dinner looks delicious. We love salmon and are always on the look-out for more recipes, so I’m making a note of this one. Really like the use of both of the paprikas in the rub and who could say no to cilantro butter?

Boy that looks good! Congrats on getting a griller in your house. I love salmon on the grill and an sure going to have to try that cilantro butter.

Love all the spices in that rub – smoked paprika has become a favorite of mine. I bet the cilantro butter would be good on different fish, too. I’m thinking trout and halibut.

I am very looking forward to more recipes that include smoked paprika. Love it. That butter would be good on anything. Delicious. Thanks for stopping by Karen.

Wow wow wow! I’m not a griller either, but I might have to learn if the results are that good! Love that cilantro lime butter. Just perfect for the salmon.

11. Vickie says

JUST got back to town and am checking email when I see you blogging about Bob making a delicious salmon dinner?? Yum – I love the ingredients in that rub. I can tell it would be bursting with flavor. And the cilantro butter made my mouth water! I am totally with you on not being an avid griller – preferring instead to work on the rest while my griller does the outdoor part. (though I went through a mesquite wood phase in Texas where I was hell-bent on learning a little) I’m inspired to try to do more on the gas grill after reading your post. Very nice. One last thing. Try a pinch of smoked paprika, a pinch of good chile powder and a dash of cayenne with sea salt and olive oil on popcorn. Girl!

So where have you been? I’m am so trying a pinch of smoked paprika, a pinch of good chile powder and a dash of cayenne with salt and olive oil on popcorn!!! This morning. :-)

• dan says

So…a pinch of smoked paprika, and I’m coughing a bit…but what a rush. sorry, just kidding.

The popcorn salt/smoked paprika/cayenne/chili powder/ oilive oil/ whatever else/are you serious? Not Kidding ! I’m IN

No way I can sort all this out. But I’m all the way in.

12. jfochek says

Howdy, neighbor! It was great to meet you today. What a fantastic group!

This salmon is the kind of meal that makes me long for summer. It looks like a crowd pleaser too. I’ll have to give it a go when the winds die down and the temperature climbs a bit… I’m a fair-weather griller. :)

It was really nice to meet you too. Can’t believe how close we live. I’m with you, I’m a fair weather griller. Bob is braving the winds and heading out there to do it all over again. Nice to be the recipient of such a great meal two weekends in a row. He just wants to make sure he has perfected this thing. :-)

13. dan says

Whoa.
    I chose the baking class and was hit on by multiple chicks…

But man, from now on, if Bob’s grillin’ it, i’m swillin’ it.

Well, if YOU were hit on multiple times, I can’t imagine the harassment Bob would have received… :-)

He grilled the same meal last night just so he could make sure he “had it down”. Mmmmmm I swilled! Delicious.

Lea Ann, it looks like Bob is just a natural. Maybe he should just join all the cooking classes and share the recipes with us, that would make our blogger life a lot easier!
    I really like the ingredients of the rub and cilantro is one of my favorite, too. I still have several very nice pieces of wild caught pacific salmon in my freezer. Can’t wait to start grilling.
    Yes, we will definitely have a big Swedish meatball lunch as soon IKEA opens its doors. I can hardly wait.

The cilantro lime butter looks great. It reminds me of a brunch that i attended. There was a bowl of green condiment. I thought it was avocado, but it was wasabi sauce. Oh my!

Looks delicious! That cilantro lime butter I will be making for sure. I don’t have Cilantro so instead I’ll use our Chadon Beni. The taste is the same as Cilantro just stronger so I will have to adjust it a bit :-)

My hubby is the griller in the family and we grill a lot of salmon. This is a must make. I’m always looking for new ways to cook it. I can see it served with a mango salsa on the side to go with the cilantro lime butter.

Kristi