Crab Salad Recipe with Avocado and Asparagus

018 (2)

Look at all of these beautiful, fresh and healthy ingredients.  I’m trying to eat as healthy as I can before the month-long food gorge begins in a couple of weeks.  And believe you me, I plan to whole heartedly participate in the Holiday food festivities.  :-)

Whole Foods has been having what they call a “One Day Sale”.  Each Wednesday they offer a very good “deal” and alert you to what is on sale by email the day before.  I don’t know if they are doing this at all locations, but if you have a Whole Foods near you, you might want to sign up for their newsletter and receive these notifications.  I’ve been loving the sales.  This week, Crab legs for $9.99/lb.  Prompting this crab salad recipe with avocado and asparagus.

021

Beautiful Pea Shoots

This is a new recipe for us, and we loved it.  Also, easy as can be.

• 1 lb thick asparagus
  • 7 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 Tbs fresh lemon juice
  • 6 medium basil leaves
  • 1 small shallot, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 3 1/2 oz pea shoots, trimmed
  • 1/4 cup salted roasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
  • 1 lb jumbo lump crab meat
  • 2 Hass avocados, each cut into 8 wedges

1. Cut tough ends off asparagus and throw away.  Slice asparagus tops into 1 inch chunks.  Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Fill a bowl with ice water. Blanch the asparagus in the boiling water until just heated through, 10 seconds. Drain and transfer to the ice water to chill; drain well. Pat dry and transfer to a bowl.

2. In a blender, blend the oil, lemon juice, basil, shallot and 1/4 cup of the parsley. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.

3. Add the pea shoots, pistachios and the remaining 1/4 cup of parsley leaves to the asparagus. Toss with half of the dressing and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with crab meat.  Serves 4

025

And enjoy!  Not a great photo, but this is a beautiful salad.  We served this with Rosemary Sourdough bread from Whole Foods.  DEE-licious little meal.  This meal was adapted from Food and Wine.

Crab Salad Recipe With Avocado and Asparagus…It’s What’s For Dinner.

Comments

This looks soooo good! I love every single ingredient, so I can almost taste it. You know, this makes me even grumpier about not having a Whole Foods up here. I am still planning to figure out how to sprout my own peas. Great post & great recipe!

Crab, avocado, and asparagus – can’t go wrong with that combination. Well you can’t REASONABLY go wrong with that combination. I mean sure, you could put in skunk road kill and that would ruin it, but otherwise….. ;)

It was delicious. I couldn’t find salted/roasted at Whole Foods, so added raw/unsalted. I do think the salted would have been better – but this was still delicious. Thanks for stopping by

Crab season started last week for the public. Commerical Crab seasion starts next weekend. Hopefully in two weeks we will get live crabs for under three bucks a pound. Now, if only it was Asparagus season that recipe would be to die for. It still sounds so very good. I will make it even though it may be healthy for you.

Alas, my Whole Foods doesn’t seem to be doing this one day sale thing. Too bad, seems like a good deal! This salad sounds great and has some of my favorite ingredients. If you’re going to lighten up the meals before the holidays, at least you can make them still taste good.

I’m totally down with the whole eating healthy before the holidays thing, really I am. But browse any magazine, blog or newspaper article and you are bombarded with gloriously decadent holiday foods and desserts (in full color and larger than life, I might add). How’s a girl to do it?? Maybe I need to pull out my eat-healthy-and-light-for-summer magazine issues and put on some blinders in line at the grocery store :D

Or, I could just go ahead and make this recipe, since Dillon’s also has crab on sale this week. King crab legs for 8.99/lb thankyouverymuch! :D

You’ve only got that $8.99 price tag because you’re closer to the ocean…….oh no, wait, that’s the Arkansas River. Which by the way I hope you’re pronouncing correctly – arKANsas