I think everyone would agree that with St. Patrick’s Day and Spring on their way, March is undeniably a green month. And right on cue, green food coloring starts making an enthusiastic appearance in foods that…well…just shouldn’t be green. Even though I can put up with a green beer (but why do it?), I put my foot down at green bagels (nuclear?), green chocolate chip cookies (moldy?), green eggs and ham (just wrong?). I’m thinking green food coloring should be reserved for butter cream frosting on cupcakes to take to the office.
With that said, can I have a Shamrock Shake from McDonald’s please?
In the spirit of March our #SundaySupper theme for today is Eat Your Greens…Celebrating Greens And Sharing Recipes For Them. And if you’re not familiar, the #SundaySupper movement was started by Isabel over at Family Foodie as a project for “bringing back Sunday supper around the family table.” Who can argue with that??? A special thanks to Foodie Stunt Man over at Crazy Foodie Stunts for hosting this week’s green event.
For this event, I chose a Moroccan-themed idea because I have this $8.00 jar of preserved lemons that I refuse to let go bad like I did with the last $8.00 jar. The two beautiful bunches of chard that I brought home from the market came alive with flavor after a sauté in olive oil and seasonings. Earthy with smoked paprika, sultry with cumin, and lively with red pepper flakes and chili powder, we savored every bite.
And with a sunny side up egg nestled alongside, what a delightful way to go green.
- 2 bunches chard, red stems removed and rough chopped
- 2 T. olive oil
- ½ t. cumin
- ¼ t. smoked paprika
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼ piece preserved lemon (chopped)
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 pinch crushed pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, fine chopped
- 1 T. fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ t. chili powder
- Wash the greens well and pat them dry with paper towels. Heat the olive oil to medium in a large fry pan. Add the greens and cook stirring frequently. When they start to wilt, add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the cumin and paprika.Cover tightly, and turn down the heat. Let it steep and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the preserved lemon and parsley. Stir to combine all flavors, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Plate the greens, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with chili powder. Serve alongside a sunny side up egg and some bread.
Take a look at all of our other green participants and their great recipes:
Green Light Appetizers and Sides
- Espinacas con Crema (Creamed Spinach) from La Cocina de Leslie
- Steakhouse Style Creamed Spinach from It’s Yummi!
- Oven-Fried Green Beans from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Irish Champ from girlichef
- Fresh Herb Tabouleh from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Moroccan Greens from Cooking On The Ranch
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Polenta Crust Creamed Spinach Tart from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes from MealDiva
- Spinach and Artichoke Squares from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Spinach Feta Muffins from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Green Rice from Basic N Delicious
- Edamame Hummus from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Avocado Fries from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Spinach Cashew Pakoras with Tangy Date Sauce from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potatoes from Webicurean
Getting Greens Through Salads
- Pixie Dust Salad with Avocados, Pixie Tangerines and Radishes from Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Broccoli Spinach Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Apple, Spinach and Zucchini Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Brussels Sprouts Slaw from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Asparagus-Fennel-Pea Shoot Salad from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing from The Foodie Army Wife
- Creamy Chicken Pesto Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Entreés That Will Leave You Green With Envy
- Eggs and Greens Pizza from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Creamy Green Pizza from The Foodie Patootie
- Shamrock Spinach Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Healthy Green Pasta from Momma’s Meals
- Swiss Chard & Sausage Pasta Bake from Delaware Girl Eats
- Smothered Cabbage with Pork from Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Fettuccine with Bacon Alfredo from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Roasted Asparagus Eggs Benedict With Cajun Hollandaise from Having Fun Saving
- Indulgent Pesto Risotto from The Weekend Gourmet
- Twice Baked Turkey Pie with Cabbage from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Slow-Cooker Irish Stout Chicken Stew from FoodieTots
- Chicken and Asparagus Flatbread Pizza from Family Foodie
Desserts and Beverages That Will Make Others Turn Green
- Lemon Kiwi Meringue Pie from Desserts Required
- Mint Cookies and Stout Shake from Melanie Makes
- Verde Sangria from Country Girl in the Village
- Baileys Mint Ice Cream & Chocolate Stout Float from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shamrock Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Green Tea Latte from Manu’s Menu
- Grasshopper Mousse from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Amazing Grass Brownies from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Leprechaun Ice Cream from Cookistry
- White Chocolate Cupcakes with Pistachio Pudding Frosting from Cookin’ Mimi
- Collard Greens, Mushroom, and Cheddar Bread Pudding from The Texan New Yorker
- Coconut Avocado Ice Cream from URBAN BAKES
- Lime Meltaways from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Mint Cake from NinjaBaking.com
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday!
We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world.
Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag
and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
On this day..
- Breakfast Pizza - 2011