Moroccan Greens #SundaySupper

Greens with fried egg

I think everyone would agree that with St. Patrick’s Day and Spring on their way, March is undeniably a green month. And right on cue, green food coloring starts making an enthusiastic appearance in foods that…well…just shouldn’t be green. Even though I can put up with a green beer (but why do it?), I put my foot down at green bagels (nuclear?),  green chocolate chip cookies (moldy?), green eggs and ham (just wrong?). I’m thinking green food coloring should be reserved for butter cream frosting on cupcakes to take to the office.

With that said, can I have a Shamrock Shake from McDonald’s please?

In the spirit of March our #SundaySupper theme for today is Eat Your Greens…Celebrating Greens And Sharing Recipes For Them. And if you’re not familiar, the #SundaySupper movement was started by Isabel over at Family Foodie as a project for “bringing back Sunday supper around the family table.” Who can argue with that??? A special thanks to Foodie Stunt Man over at Crazy Foodie Stunts  for hosting this week’s green event.

For this event, I chose a Moroccan-themed idea because I have this $8.00 jar of preserved lemons that I refuse to let go bad like I did with the last $8.00 jar. The two beautiful bunches of chard that I brought home from the market came alive with flavor after a sauté in olive oil and seasonings. Earthy with smoked paprika, sultry with cumin, and lively with red pepper flakes and chili powder, we savored every bite.

And with a sunny side up egg nestled alongside, what a delightful way to go green.

4.7 from 3 reviews
Moroccan Greens #SundaySupper

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • 2 bunches chard, red stems removed and rough chopped
  • 2 T. olive oil
  • ½ t. cumin
  • ¼ t. smoked paprika
  • 1 pinch salt
  • ¼ piece preserved lemon (chopped)
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1 pinch crushed pepper flakes
  • 2 cloves garlic, fine chopped
  • 1 T. fresh parsley, chopped
  • ¼ t. chili powder
Instructions
  1. Wash the greens well and pat them dry with paper towels. Heat the olive oil to medium in a large fry pan. Add the greens and cook stirring frequently. When they start to wilt, add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the cumin and paprika.Cover tightly, and turn down the heat. Let it steep and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the preserved lemon and parsley. Stir to combine all flavors, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Plate the greens, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with chili powder. Serve alongside a sunny side up egg and some bread.

Take a look at all of our other green participants and their great recipes:

Green Light Appetizers and Sides

Getting Greens Through Salads

Entreés That Will Leave You Green With Envy

Desserts and Beverages That Will Make Others Turn Green

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday!
We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world.
Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag
and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.

Check out
our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Comments

Dr. Seuss was a generation after me. I really don’t think I’ve read any of the books and maybe seen 1/2 of a movie. I’ll have to Google the green eggs and ham thing. Thanks for stopping in DB.

Your Moraccan greens sound amazing! I’ve only recently started using preserved lemons…and regret all the years I’ve missed cooking with them!

Love it. And heck no, if you remember in my post I wanted to order a Shamrock Shake from McDonalds. Milk products are Grandfather’d in. :) The chili powder I used for this wasn’t too hot, so you might want to leave those hot pepper flakes in the pantry. Thanks for stopping in and the comment.

We never did much for St. Patrick’s Day when I was a kid but my mother always served a pork roast and alongside was a dish of homemade applesauce that she’d put green food coloring in. It looked gross – every single year.

I agree with you on everything but Green Eggs and Ham.
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted…Wild Rocket @Misty’sMy Profile

That’s Hatch Chile and Short Ribs is one pretty good recipe. Mild on flavor and creamy in texture with the slow cook of the beef. Thanks for stopping in Christy.

I’m always happy to learn of ways to use preserved lemons because a canning book I love has gorgeous photos of them but I’ve yet to make them as I wasn’t sure how to use them. Thanks for the suggestion to look towards Moroccan foods. I’ll start with your recipe first and go from there. If I do make a batch at home I’ll know who to share them with– you!
    Holly recently posted…Easy Butterscotch Pudding Pie #PiDayMy Profile

One of these days I’m going to make my own preserved lemons. I really like them Holly and enjoy their flavor in the few things I’ve made. Let me know if you make them.

Your combo of spices is brilliant, Lea Ann. I’m one of those people who are happy with simple steamed chard with a drizzle of soy sauce…But after reading your recipe I may be venturing into spicier territory =)

And I like that idea with a simple drizzle of soy sauce. Let me know if you try the spicier territory and how you like it. And thanks for stopping in and the comment. Nice cooking with you for Sunday Supper.

We eat a limited amount of greens (mostly spinach) in part because we don’t have many different ways to prepare them so I look forward to your recipes/ This one sounds very good and has all flavors I like – I like the multi-colored chard.
    Larry recently posted…Mushroom, Fontina PolentaMy Profile

That is a WOWSER of a chard dish! Your plate is simply super-model pretty, and very healthy!
    We love it and are going to link to it from our social media (Twitter and Facebook), so our followers can see how you made it.

Keep up the good cookin’ and we invite you to follow us for even more delicious recipes starring a variety of healthy greens.

–Your friendly Southern California farmers at Cut ‘N Clean Greens

Your Moroccan greens look simply fabulous! I love preserved lemons and haven’t made them in aeons. Today, however, is the day Im making them again. I’ve had a bag of organic lemons sitting in my fridge for days now and I need to get to it. And I so totally agree with you about dyed green things, just ridiculous!
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted…White Chocolate and Pecan Oatmeal CookiesMy Profile