Carne Asada and Ruby

Have you ever grilled thin slices of Mexican-seasoned beef, alongside whole jalapeno peppers (tops trimmed for serving) and rolled them up in a warm fresh flour tortilla? If not, you don’t know what you’re missing.

This is a trick I learned from our next door neighbor Miguel. The gringo in me sliced open the grilled jalapeno and scraped out the seeds and veins, but other than that, the whole process was quick and easy and within a few minutes we were standing next to the grill with rolled carne asada tortillas in our hands, just like were were enjoying street food in Mexico.

I’ve never actually seasoned my own steak for this treat. We’re lucky to have three nearby markets who sell the meat pre-seasoned. One offers flank steak, one skirt steak and the other flap steak. I prefer the skirt or flap, nice and thin. Each of them also season the meat a little differently, and it’s all wonderful. In the American markets it’s labeled carne asada, and at our Mexican market it’s labeled carnicerías. The photo above is prepared with flank steak (closest market to home), thin sliced against the grain after grilled.

Carne asada literally means grilled meat. The meat is sliced thin, marinated and used in tacos, burritos, or quesadillas. Carne asada is often served with fresh guacamole, grilled onions, black beans or frijoles charros, and fresh salsa. And actually, When describing an event in Mexico and the American Southwest, the phrase “carne asada” is the equivalent of describing the backyardl barbeque. (Thank you Wikipedia.)

This is even better if you purchase fresh made flour tortillas from your local Mexican Market. Can you spell d-i-v-i-n-e?

Switching gears for a moment, pull up a chair for some short term barking.

I’d like to introduce you to Ruby.  Ruby is the first dog to appear in my new feature, Paws on the Ranch…Every Paw…Has a Story. I’ll be posting photos of the pups I run across here in Highlands Ranch. That is, those who agree to pose for a photo. You see, I have this huge soft spot in my heart for our furry friends. I hope you enjoy meeting some of my neighbors.

Meet: Ruby, mixed breed.

What’s my story? My mother was pregnant with us and lived in the 9th Ward. She was saved from the flood waters and evacuated to a Colorado shelter where I was born shortly thereafter.  We are Katrina rescues.

Not a bad story for my first encounter. I was a little reluctant to ask a total stranger if I could photograph her dog, but when I explained my plan, all parties, including Ruby were very cooperative. Note to self: strong shadows at 6:30 a.m. Hopefully my canine photography will improve in time just as I hope my food photography has.

Advertising dollars generated through my blog will be donated to Max Fund, a Denver No-Kill Animal Shelter.

Comments

I make mean carnitas, and roll those up in a corn tortilla with a nice salsa. Never thought about slicing a Mexican-seasoned steak. Easier than carnitas actually. I’ll have to be cautious with those jalepenos..I can’t take too much heat, although I should think roasting them as you’ve done cuts down on that quite a bit. (And removing the seeds)

• Lea Ann says

I’ll take anything wrapped up in any type of tortilla. As long as I remove seeds and veins, I’m ok with the flavor of jalapenos. I’m not sure how roasting affects heat. That’s a very good thing to research.

They look delicious LA – Bev bought this jalapeno corer – http://www.norprowebstore.com/fruit-vegetable/norpro-grip-ez-jalapeno-pepper-corer-121-271.aspx – recently and I used it to make some ABT’s last week. I had my doubts but was surprised at how well it worked at removing everything but a little at the bottom. It allowed keeping the peppers in tact and did as good as a knife after splitting them. It was also easy to use and well worth the $6 or $7 she paid for it.

3. Nancy says

As always – the dish looks great! And I love that you are branching out on the blog to include canine friends. Now you have food, birds and dogs…doesn’t get better than that!

Love the new feature! Ruby is very pretty, and awesome that she is a Katrina rescue! That’s awesome her mom was rescued, and the puppies survived! mmmm carne asada… I can smell it over here! Yum!

• Lea Ann says

Thanks Jane. I couldn’t believe my ears when I asked about her and this story was revealed. She’s a sweetie. I’ve seen her twice now since I’ve taken the photo.

Love making carne asada.. we have a great Mexican grocery that sells it perfectly seasoned too… and LOVE grilled whole jalapenos.. I could eat them all by themselves!

Great new segment on here too.. can’t wait to see more puppies you find!

I was very impressed with that first image. I was thinking you were pretty brave to have four peppers in one taco. Then I read you took the seeds out. The marinades flank steaks are a nice convenience and we use them too. I have been creating my own marinade and prefer it now. Hi Ruby.

I adore the simplicity of this dish! I’m afraid I’d have to gringo out also and ditch the seeds ;) Ruby is adorable, I love the furry friends too.

LOVE LOVE LOVE carne asada but I have never eaten it like that. Looks delicious! What a great new feature. Every dog does have a story! Ruby looks like a big sweetie. Very nice post. with fabulous photos as always. :)

• Lea Ann says

I never had either until Miguel popped over the fence and handed me this wonderful rolled flour tortilla. I’m going to have to get him and his wife Rosa over to teach me some REAL Mexican cooking.

Holy Cow, Lea Ann!!! You are a better woman than I am if you can eat all those jalapenos in your taco (even without the seeds). It makes me perspire just to think about it. Looking forward to meeting the pups in your neighborhood.

Yum!! I love the idea of grilling Jalapeno’s and I will have to try them….possibly tonight! I also love your new feature and the fact that you are donating to the Max Fund. They are a wonderful shelter and took in quite a few animals from Katrina.