Homemade Hashbrown Potatoes…Take Three

Hideous. A ball of flabby, mushy, gooey starch. If you hadn’t read the title of the post you may not even recognize these as fried potatoes in the photo. It could be cookie dough or even a piece of chicken. And I was so confident going into “take three” Sunday.

I had two beautiful russet potatoes, which were shredded on the box grater and the moisture removed with my salad spinner. I had even purchased a tub of Crisco for a higher heat experience. I placed a heaping tablespoon in a hot pan and let it get nice and hot over medium high heat. I sent in a sacrificial strand of potato to make sure the oil was ready and it sizzled away signaling for the rest of the mound to follow. I sprinkled them evenly in the hot oil and with minimum turning got them browned.

This batch has ended up far worse than the first two. I blame it on using my non-stick skillet. So far, the one thing I’ve learned is always always always use the cast iron. Which I don’t understand. I’m confused about the chemistry with fresh potatoes. I’ve used the non-stick with purchased frozen hash-browns with good results.

Even the flavor of “take three” hash-browns was very odd. I took one bite and couldn’t eat the rest. I ‘m getting to the point with this experiment that I’m about to beg Christopher Kimball over at America’s Test Kitchen to get involved.

But at least we can talk about the eggs. They’re slow cooked scrambled eggs with capers and rosemary and we love them. Let’s take a look.

5.0 from 1 reviews
Slow Cooked Scrambled Eggs with Rosemary and Capers

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

This slow cooking method results in a moist almost custard like finish. Delicious.
Recipe type: Breakfast, Entree
Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • 4 Eggs
  • ¼ C. Milk or cream
  • 1 T. Butter
  • 1 T. Capers, drained and rinsed
  • 1 t. Fresh Rosemary, chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Romano cheese, grated
Instructions
  1. In a bowl whisk together the eggs and the milk.
  2. Add in the capers and rosemary.
  3. In a small non-stick skillet heat the butter until sizzling. Pour in the egg mixture and turn down the burner to as low as the heat will go.
  4. Let the mixture slowly turn into a custard like consistency, only stirring a few times. It should take about 20 minutes to set up.
  5. Top with grated Romano cheese.

Slow Cooked Scrambled Eggs with Rosemary and Capers … They’re What’s for Breakfast.

Comments

Despite your exasperation, I do appreciate your honesty and showing us the good, the bad and the ugly. I’m wondering if deep fat frying at a higher temp might be better or a potato with a different starch content. Do you need testers? :)

I too appreciate your honesty in the hash brown potato experiment. I stick by what I said before, go to the Waffle House and enjoy them with no guilt, only pleasure. After all, they would NEVER know how to scramble eggs correctly and that you’ve got down perfectly Lea Ann.

• Lea Ann says

And actually I have a Waffle House to close that there’s no reason not to visit on a Sunday Morning … well except I can’t go in my pajamas. :)

Oy. I’m sorry the potatoes didn’t turn out the way you wanted! But at least you had those eggs to fall back on…the rosemary and capers are fabulous additions! I’m going to scour my massive cookbook collection for hashbrown recipes and get back to you.

If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em! Go for the frozen. I seem to always do ok with them. Your eggs look wonderful. My husband would be so jealous to see so many wonderful breakfasts on your blog. I don’t enjoy cooking breakfasts so much so he could happily come over every weekend and enjoy yours.

• Lea Ann says

Even if I do get them right, I still think frozen is an easier way to go. Oh Karen, I love cooking breakfast on a Sunday morning.

Well, darn! I am getting hooked on the saga, now, so you can’t stop. :)
    Meanwhile, the eggs sound delicious! I just read somewhere that milk instead of water makes them creamy and I love the addition of capers and rosemary. Of course I can’t let a post go by without oohing and aahing about your beautiful photo. I’m SO stealing that napkin ring idea – very clever and so cute for those one utensil meals!

• Lea Ann says

I’ll probably give it one more try. Good grief, this last attempt ended in a result that made me give up years ago. Those first tiny French fries were the best so far. Makes me wonder what happens when you smash a potato through that box grinder. I don’t get it. Thanks for commenting about the photo. When you’re hungry on a Sunday morning …. well, let’s just say I didn’t take much time with it. And yes, I do think that napkin ring trip makes for a nice photo. I got that idea from some old decrepit cook book.

Loving this experiment! Can’t wait for Round 4. You got ‘em on the ropes! Wearing them down! Now it’s time to put ‘em away!

Have you ever tried cottage cheese in scrambled eggs? I can’t bring myself to try even a teaspoon’s worth of cottage cheese plain, out of the container, but in eggs it’s quite yummy.

Cheers!

• Lea Ann says

LOL … I’m appreciate your confidence. I have not tried cottage cheese in eggs. Love the idea. You’ll have to fill me in on the ratios.

Thank goodness for the eggs but what a shame about the hash browns. I know you’ll find the perfect recipe soon.

I’ve never had scrambled eggs with capers – sounds delicious!

8. Amy Fuller Pla says

Lea Ann, don’t be timid about approaching Christopher Kimball. I’m sure his group has done hashed brown potatoes to perfection. After all, the whole point of America’s Test Kitchen is to try and try until the testers “get it right”. It would not surprise me if they tried many more times than three. But, I admire your “stick-to-it-tive-ness” when it comes to “getting it right”! Thanks! My hat is off to you!

• Lea Ann says

I would be timid because right now, I’m not a subscriber. It’s kind of an on and off thing for me. I did google it and found he used the same method as what I’ve already done. I’m very puzzled by the whole potato chemistry thing.

• Lea Ann says

I thought for sure it would be too Karen, and quite frankly was stunned when it turned out to be the biggest disaster. Those eggs are one of our favorites.

I have great confidence in you, Lea Ann. I KNOW you’ll find the perfect recipe. Keep searching! Those cast iron pans are the best. My son was raving about one he just bought (like he invented them :))…there are some recipes that only work well in one of those pans. Wonder if your hash browns is one? Surprised the Crisco didn’t work, actually.
    The eggs look super, though. Love the creaminess and the rosemary.

• Lea Ann says

Too funny about the son raving like he invented them. Love it when kids do that. I was surprised the Crisco behaved in such an unfriendly manner. I’ve always had good luck. Those eggs are wonderful. I blogged about them a couple of years ago … they came from George, who doesn’t blog anymore. Darnit. :)

10. Bob says

Great Blog! Your blog caught my attention because I have had the same problem with hashbrowns. I give you a lot of credit for staying at it. The last time I tried making homemade hashbrowns was probably a couple of years ago. I have resorted to the dehydrated variety from costco. I do have a thought that I may try one day; I was thinking of either using a left over baked potato or par boiling some potatoes before grating them and frying them in a big cast iron skillet (one with lots of realestate for browning purposes). Frying potatoes in cast iron also has the added benefit of helping with the seasoning efforts for the pan.

• Lea Ann says

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I’ll have to look for the Costco potatoes since I’m loving so much of what they have to offer. Bob, actually tonight I’m boiling two russet potatoes and sticking them in the fridge for “take 4″ I’m feeling very confident that this is the trick. Hope you stick around for the results. AND, I couldn’t agree more about that cast iron skillet. It’s my best friend in the kitchen. Didn’t realize frying potatoes helped the seasoning process.

• Lea Ann says

Even if I ever get it right, I’ll also probably stick to the packaged. So easy and brown up beautifully. Unless I read the label and find out they’re filled with chemicals.

The boys and I are getting together to watch the Raiders for Sunday morning bloody marya and such breakfast. Ms. Goofy is not happy. We will be cooking up a storm and hash browns sound good.

Tebow is the talk of the nation and rightfully deserving. Do you think Elway is jealous? Way to many Elway sightings Thursday.