Zuppa Salsiccia simply translates to Sausage Soup, which seems like such a modest description for this incredibly flavorful dish. We love this Italian Sausage Soup.
This soup, hands down, is our favorite in my database. I’ve had this recipe for many years and every time we make it we comment about why we don’t have it more often. Alongside a beautiful green salad dressed with your favorite vinaigrette and a chunk of crusty bread, this is elegant enough to serve as a main course at a dinner party.
An easy fix, the hardest part is giving up a cup and a half of good drinking red wine to simmer in the broth. The combination of both sweet and hot Italian sausage which has long simmered in beef stock, red wine and tomatoes, seasoned with green bell pepper, garlic, onion and basil makes for an incredibly flavorful treat. Ladling it over some al dente large shell pasta and topping with it with some shredded Parmesan cheese finishes this delicious soup. You really must give this one a try.
- 3 links hot Italian Sausage
- 3 links sweet Italian Sausage
- 1½ cups good quality red wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 whole green pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh parsley, chopped, plus some for garnish
- 2 Tbs dried basil
- 3 whole garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- Large shell pasta, cooked al-la-dente
- In a deep pan brown sausage thoroughly, remove from pan and drain well. In same pan saute onions, green peppers and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add sausage and red wine and bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for at least one hour.
- About 15 minutes before soup is done, cook the pasta according to package instructions, drain and keep warm. In a soup bowl spoon a few pasta shells, pour a generous helping of soup over top. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and some parsley for garnish.
Zuppa Salsiccia…It’s What’s For Dinner.
Zuppa Salsiccia is heading over to paradise for Deb’s Souper Sunday.