Savory Swiss Chard Vegetarian Tacos with crunchy caramelized onion, salty Queso Fresco and a bitey salsa. A delicious surprise for these easy, vegetarian Mexican tacos recipe.
Well heck, this has been a couple of rough weeks for me. An inner ear situation has caused balance issues making me dizzier than all get out. Resulting in; missing four days work, numerous tests and trips back and forth to the doctor, not being able to drive, not being able to cook, no appetite and cancelling a trip to Portland to the IFBC (Food Blogger Conference), which I’ve had planned since March.
This is all because I suffer from Meniere’s disease. No need to feel sorry for me, believe me, I’ve done enough of that for all of us. 🙂
Hopefully this latest experiment of medication has me back in the saddle. For the first time in two weeks, I’ve planned for a big juicy steak from the grill for dinner…and it actually sounds good. I believe things are looking up.
Let’s Cook Our Troubles Away
But enough about that Let’s make this very unique and surprisingly delicious healthy vegetarian tacos recipe compliments of Rick Bayless.
I don’t know exactly how it happened, but I’ve become a big fan of Swiss Chard. It could be an attraction to those huge dark green leaves with striking red stalks. For sure, the fact that it’s easy to cook and the texture is pleasing. And it’s a great way to get those vitamins.
These vegetarian tacos with Swiss Chard bring some flavor to those soft corn tortillas. Simply flavored with salsa and Mexican cheese, these are easy enough for a weeknight meal.
This recipe calls to be topped with a dollop of salsa. If you’re looking for a great homemade salsa, you won’t want to miss my Essential Mexican Restaurant Style Salsa. Or use your favorite good quality jarred salsa.
HOW TO WARM AND SOFTEN CORN TORTILLAS
With a microwave oven: Drizzle about three tablespoons of water over a clean kitchen towel. Wrap your corn tortillas in the towel. Slide the package into a gallon sized plastic bag. Don’t seal the bag. Microwave the tortillas at 50% power for four minutes. This creates a steamy packet. Let sit 2 -3 minutes inside package before using.
Recipe for Swiss Chard Vegetarian Tacos
I hope you give these Swiss Chard Tacos a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite vegetarian taco recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Fresh and Healthy Taco Recipes
- Roasted Bell Pepper Black Bean Chicken Tacos
- Roasted Green Chile Chicken Soft Tacos
- Chipotle Chicken Salad Tacos with Avocado
- Shrimp Tacos with Lime Dressing
And check out all of my taco recipe in my Taco Recipes category
And how about these unique easy taco recipes?
- Chorizo Potato Shiitake Mushroom Tacos
- Fish Tacos with Cod
- Crispy Fish Tacos with Hoisin Tarter Sauce
- Easy Mexican Shrimp Tacos
Swiss Chard Tacos
- 1 bunch Swiss Chard
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 whole sweet onion sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 Cup chicken broth
- 1 cup Mexican Queso Fresco crumbled
- 3/4 Cup Jarred Salsa
- Cut the chard crosswise into 1/2 inch slices. In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium high. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently until golden brown but still crunchy, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and stir for a few seconds, until aromatic. Add broth, salt to taste and the greens. Reduce heat, cover, and cook greens until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Uncover pan and raise the heat to medium high and cook, stirring continually until mixture is nearly dry.
- Serve with warm corn tortillas, crumbled cheese, salsa, cilantro and raw sliced onion rings.