Crockpot Country Style Pork Ribs for #SundaySupper

Ribs in the crockpot

This is my first participating post in the Sunday Supper project. The project is the work of a group of bloggers who are dedicated to bringing back the Sunday supper around the family table. The theme for this post was a crockpot recipe to  ”slowly bring in the New Year”.

I’ve had this recipe for as long as I’ve had my crockpot. Literally, it was a recipe included in the little instruction booklet that came with my first crockpot. Do you pay any attention to those? I’ve found some really good ideas in them. This is a sweet, sour and savory fix-and-forget meal that’s a pleasure to come home to. Aromas of Crockpot Country style ribs with potatoes, sauerkraut, apples and onions fill the house. Let’s get started.

Preparing ribs for crockpot

We’ll start by salt and peppering the ribs then coating them with flour. Shake off the excess flour and brown in two tablespoons of vegetable oil until golden on each side. Remove to a paper towel to drain.

Crockpot country style ribs

Next we’ll layer the vegetables in the crockpot. Start with small new potatoes. Or you can use large potatoes that have been cubed or thick sliced. Add some large chunks of carrots. And then some sweet onion that’s been peeled, sliced in half , ringed and then cut into crescents. On top of the onions, we’ll sprinkle on a small can of sauerkraut that’s been quickly rinsed and drained.

Crockpot country style ribs

The next step is to add a tablespoon of fennel and some apple juice. We’re big fan of fennel, so as you can see that spoon is heaping. You can also add caraway if you’d like…we don’t.

Crockpot ribs

We’ll slice an apple and then place those on top of the sauerkraut in the crockpot.

Crockpot ribs

The final step is to snuggle the ribs on the top. Cover and cook on low all day.

Ribs in the Crockpot
Gather round that table and enjoy a savory flavorful meal.

5.0 from 4 reviews

Crockpot Country Style Ribs

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

A great fix it and forget it meal.
Author:
Recipe type: Main Course
Cuisine: American
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 4 T. all purpose flour
  • 4 country style pork ribs (about 2⅓ pounds)
  • salt/pepper to taste
  • 2 T. olive oil
  • 10 new red potatoes (or two large russets, cubed or thick sliced)
  • 2 medium carrots, sliced thick
  • 1 onion, sliced and then halved
  • 1-15 ounce can sauerkraut, drained
  • ½ cup apple juice
  • 1 t. caraway seed
  • 1 T. fennel seed
  • 1 whole apple cored and sliced
  • salt/pepper to taste
  • 1 T. flour
  • 2 T. cold water
Instructions
  1. Place the flour on a plate. Salt and pepper ribs and dredge the ribs in the flour until coated. Shake off excess flour. In a large fry pan, heat the oil until hot and sear the ribs until golden on each side. Remove to paper towel to drain.
  2. In the crackpot layer, potatoes, carrots, onion, and sauerkraut. Pour on the apple juice, sprinkle on the spices and then add the whole apple on top. Season with salt and pepper and then snuggle the ribs on top of the ingredients. Cook on low all day.
  3. If you’d like, remove ingredients from crockpot and place juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer combing water/flour mixture and apples. Simmer for a couple of minutes and use as gravy.
  4. Or serve directly from the crockpot.

Crockpot Country Style Pork Ribs…It’s What’s for #SundaySupper

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Whet Your Appetite

Simmering Soups, Stews, and Side Dishes

Main Courses

Sunday Supper Movement

Comments

Same at my house growing up. Dinner was at noon and supper was in the evening. Not until I moved to Denver did I start having Dinner in the evening. :)

Thanks so much for the welcome to the Sunday Supper Group. And taking the time to stop by and the comment. Heading over to take a look at that Cacciatore!

Thanks so much for stopping in and the comment. My PA Dutch friend just taught me how to make Pork and Sauerkraut over mashed potatoes. I finally had to freeze the leftovers so I’d quit eating it.

This sounds like a delicious recipe to try! Welcome to #SundaySupper, you’ll love it! I certainly have enjoyed getting to know all of the awesome friends who share their talents each week! Thanks for sharing & HUGS!

It’s funny how some of the recipes in those little instruction books become favorites. I love the ingredients in this dish. Looks so comforting.

I agree Debra. I’ve got a few I’ve saved. One is even from my mom’s Rascal pamphlet. Yes, then threw in a couple crockpot recipes in the manual on how to drive that scooter. I really need to blog about that. :)

Dear Lea Ann, I do pay attention to the recipes that come with the various cooking pans. They always prove to be good.
    This is a family meal that will certainly gather everyone to the table.

Blessings dear. Catherine xo

Welcome to Sunday Supper, Lea Ann! I’m with you – those little booklets that come with the appliances almost always have great, basic go-to recipes. I reference them again and again for my ice cream maker and waffle maker. Now that you mention it, I should try to hunt up the booklet that came with my slow cooker. Maybe I’ll find something delicious like this. Great looking dish!
    Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons recently posted…Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup #SundaySupperMy Profile

Thanks so much for the welcome. I agree and especially with my ice cream maker. I use their custard vanilla recipe for my go to starting point.

Thank you Nazneen. It was perfect for this weekend. Stay warm. I’ve emailed you about Sunday Suppers. I’ve really enjoyed my first experience.

I’m no good with ribs, so yes, order them out. But these country style ribs are a different animal than Baby back or spare. Much more forgiving to cook. Thanks Holly. Stay warm.

Yummmmm! I love the apples, sauerkraut and pork combo with all those root veggies. Looking at all those beautiful pictures made my mouth water. Seriously. My mother called it supper always. I love that word and the visions it conjures up!

A great big welcome to Sunday Supper! So glad you shared this recipe because I just love pork and sauerkraut and all the rest of the ingredients too. Now I need to see if I can find that little booklet that came with my crockpot. Who knows what great recipes I may discover in it. (It’s an old one too).
    Renee recently posted…Spicy Corn CasseroleMy Profile

Thank you so much for that warm welcome Renee. I must say my first experience with the group has been great. Look forward to posting with the group in 2014.