Lamb Kabobs with Arugula and Creamy Lemon Vinaigrette

I’m sure hoping you’ll sit up and take notice and give this one a try very soon.  And preferably on a work week evening for a quick easy meal that just happens to end up on your plate as restaurant-quality delicious.   Now that’s a treat that deserves a standing ovation.

For the last couple of weeks, I’ve been buying those plastic clam shells of organic baby arugula from Whole Foods, tossing it with a lemony vinaigrette and placing about any type of lean meat on top for a delicious healthy weeknight dinner. It makes such an easy and healthy side dish. One clam shell lasts the week for the two of us. To quote one of my favorite celebrity chefs .. “How easy is that?”

To make things even easier, a few weeks ago my good friend Vickie in Montana sent me a gift of these wonderful Boyajian infused oils . I’ve been having more fun with these than Rick Bayless has with a taco shell. Just toss EVOO, some rice vinegar and a couple drops of one of these oils and you’ve got a delicious flavoring for an endless list of dishes. It works great when you don’t have a fresh lemon or lime on the counter, or even if you do (wink).  Something about these oils adds such a beautiful and rich citrusy flavor that I’m finding I can’t resist them.

Back to the recipe.  Just picture a bite of tender lamb that’s been drizzled with a creamy lemony vinaigrette, topped with crumbles of full-bodied and savory blue cheese, and some crisp sweet onion and peppery arugula all in your mouth at the same time.  ::::sigh. And as I said, easy enough for a weeknight meal and elegant enough for guests.  Let’s take a look.

Broiled Lamb Skewers with Baby Arugula and Creamy Lemon Vinaigrette

2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (In this case I used two generous drops of that wonderful lemon oil)
2 tsp sour cream
1 small clove garlic, minced
Kosher salt
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 lb boneless lamb shoulder chops or lamb leg steaks, cut into 1-inch cubes
Coarsely ground black pepper
4 oz baby arugula (about 4 cups)
1/2 cup very thinly sliced Vidalia or Sweet Texas Onion
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (room temperature)

Position an oven rack 4 inches from the broiler element and heat the broiler to high.

In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice (or oil), sour cream, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Slowly whisk in 1/4 cup olive oil.

If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before threading them

In a medium bowl, combine the lamb with the 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper.  Toss to coat evenly. Thread the lamb onto four small (8-inch) bamboo or metal skewers.

Put the skewers on a broiler pan and broil the lamb, flipping once, until browned on the outside but still pink inside (medium done), 2 to 4 minutes per side.

Transfer the skewers to a small, shallow baking dish.  Whisk the vinaigrette to recombine and pour 3 Tbsp over the skewers, turning to coat.

In a medium bowl, toss the arugula and onion with enough of the remaining vinaigrette to lightly coat (you may not need it all). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pile the greens on two plates, top each salad with two lamb skewers, sprinkle with the cheese, and serve immediately. (Inspired by Fine Cooking)

Lamb Kabobs with Arugula and Creamy Lemon Vinaigrette…It’s What’s For Dinner.

One Year Ago:  Best Pasta Salad Ever

Two Years Ago: Cauleen’s Scallops With Orange Cream Sauce

Comments

I doubt you’re a disaster Russ. Until my husband took a grilling class at a local cooking school, all he could make was canned tomato soup…..

This dish sounds TO-DIE-FOR delicious. I just happen to be picking a basketful of arugula every night now and love a new way to serve it. You try growing some, it’s like a weed and grows fast. I’m just sayin’ . . .

I just knew you’d love the richness of those oils as much as I do. They’re my (not-so) secret ingredient for many dishes and now I have one more to try. :)

I’ll have to pick up some Arugula tomorrow at the garden center. Gotta give it a try. I’m going to order some more of those oils. I’m just crazy over them.

The recipe called for either feta or blue cheese. I had some Maytag in the fridge and glad I tried the blue cheese, really liked it and probably won’t try feta next at all now.

Guess I better get myself to the store and find some of those infused oils. They sounds more than delicious and I don’t want to be the last person on the planet to have a taste. Lamb is always a winner in our house and I love those clam shells. Have 3 of them in my refrig right now, each with a different mix of greens.

I’m not sure where on earth you’d find those oils. I was thinking you have to order them. And yes, you really shouldn’t be the last person on earth. :-) Me too Sam, I have a couple of those clam shells. I also like the baby mixed greens.

Thanks Karen. Simple most certainly has been the ticket lately, but I do look forward to a full blown good afternoon of slicing/dicing/fussing/sautéing/deglazing/saucing. One of these days I might just find time to do that. :-)

Yum. Although I don’t eat it very often, I love lamb — especially with other Mediterranean flavors like you’ve used here. Flavored oils are such a treat – I have a chili one that I love, but should definitely invest in a lemon one. I can see that getting a lot of use in my kitchen!

I’ve used the lemon flavored the most… but all are wonderful and the three come in a little sampler set. I’d like to order the wasabi flavor. :-)

We are on the same path…I make almost every meal a salad with a grilled meat and yet…seldom think of lamb, which I love but typically have for Christmas only. Dumb move huh?

I have some maple and vanilla vinegars from the same company but not sure where I got them; maybe Williams Sonoma? I would love to have the oils; they do sound like a great, easy way to develop a fresh tasting salad dressing.

I love the oils. I’m going to have to pick some up. I can see they would be great in a vinaigrette. My husband adores lamb. You’re right. This looks like a terrific weeknight meal. Enjoy your weekend!

You don’t need to talk me into it, Lea Ann. I love lamb kabobs! My marinade isn’t as good as yours, so will try yours next time. Love it served over arugula.

I’ve been watching every week for arugula to appear at the farmers’ market. I love to serve it just the way you picture here. I have seen the little bottles of flavored oils at Whole Foods and am happy to read that you like them, Lea Ann. The lime flavor would really come in handy.