Avocado Shrimp Salad with Mango Dressing
Avocado Shrimp Salad with Mango Dressing, a Jamaican roadside stand inspired dish with sweet shrimp simmered in a peppery broth.
- FOR THE SHRIMP
- 1 lemon halved
- 6 cups water
- 1 small onion sliced
- 2 Tbs kosher salt
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero chile I wimped out and used a jalapeno, halved
- 1 Tbs grated fresh ginger
- One 12-ounce bottle of lager
- 2 lbs large shrimp shelled and deveined
- FOR THE DRESSING
- 1 mango 1 1/2 cups, peeled and finely diced
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbs fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbs chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp finely grated lime zest
- 1/4 tsp minced Scotch bonnet or habanero chile I wimped out and used a jalapeno
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion Vidalia onions are here, hence a substitution
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Hass avocados sliced
- Lime wedges for serving
Prepare the shrimp: Squeeze the lemon halves into a large saucepan then add them to the pan. Add the water, onion, salt, Scotch bonnet, ginger and beer and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook for 3 minutes, just until pink. Drain the shrimp and spread on a platter. Refrigerate until chilled. Halve the shrimp horizontally.
Meanwhile, make the dressing: In a food processor, combine 1/3 cup of the diced mango with the vinegar, lime juice and mustard and puree until smooth. With the machine on, add the oil in a thin stream and blend until very smooth. Add the cilantro, lime zest and minced Scotch bonnet and pulse just to combine.
Transfer the dressing to a large bowl. Add the shrimp, red onion and the remaining mango and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Arrange the avocado slices around a large platter. Mound the shrimp salad in the center and garnish with lime wedges. Serve right away.
Calories: 688kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 50g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 572mg | Sodium: 5293mg | Potassium: 848mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 730IU | Vitamin C: 62mg | Calcium: 371mg | Iron: 6mg