Orange and Olive Salad
A great side dish for a paella, or any full flavored main course. A perfect salad for holiday entertaining.
- For the Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons shallot finely minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- For the Salad:
- 3 large oranges
- 1 large head Bibb lettuce washed, dried and torn
- 3 cups arugula washed and dried
- 1 medium fennel bulb cored and thin sliced on a mandolin
- 1/3 cup Marcona almonds toasted and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup good quality Spanish olives pitted
Whisk shallot, vinegar and honey in a small bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper to taste.
Using a small sharp knife, cut all peel and white pith from oranges, and cut between the membranes to release the segments into a small bowl. This technique is called "supreming".
To serve: Toss greens, fennel, orange segments, almonds and olives in large bowl with enough vinaigrette to thoroughly coat. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Calories: 184kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 142mg | Potassium: 380mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 549IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 1mg