Crab Cakes Benedict With Spicy Hollandaise Sauce

There are so many things to talk about with this post.  A new method (for me) to make Hollandaise Sauce in a blender, a great new flavor for the Hollandaise Sauce, and a double-yolked egg when I went to make the Hollandaise Sauce.

I guess there’s really only one thing to talk about…The Hollandaise Sauce.

When making the sauce, I cracked open an egg and found a two yolks?  Timeliness is critical when making Hollandaise, so no photo of the twins. Have you ever seen a two-yolked egg?

This recipe comes courtesy of my favorite local specialty store Tony’s Market.  I subscribe to Tony’s Culinary Club, receive emails for mid-week specials, weekend specials and recipes courtesy Chef Mick.  Throw in all the wonderful products available in their stores and it’s a culinary extravaganza.  This recipe came through on an email and I couldn’t wait to give it a try.  Let’s take a look.

The crab cakes were a cinch to make.  I simply purchased them pre-made at Tony’s takeout dinner section and sautéed them until golden brown.

Photo from bonappetit.com

The new edition of Bon Appetit magazine featured a  five-minute method for making Hollandaise Sauce in a blender. I really thought this sounded like a simplified solution to the otherwise  finicky stove top production. Worked like a charm.

1 1/2 C. (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cubed  (I couldn’t bring myself to use this much butter, I reduced to 1 1/2 sticks and then added two tablespoons of very hot water to make up for the loss of butter)

• 2 T. fresh lemon juice
  • Salt and Pepper

From here I incorporated seasonings  for Chef Mick’s spicy version.  Not exactly what the recipe called for, but I used what I had on hand.

• A pinch of cayenne pepper
  • A pinch of Aleppo Pepper
  • A pinch of Ancho chile powder or Chipotle chile powder for some smokiness.

Fill the blender with very hot water, set aside.  Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Remove pan from heat. Drain blender and dry well. Put egg yolks and 2 T. lemon juice in blender; cover and blend to combine . Working quickly and with blender running, remove lid insert and slowly pour hot butter into blender in a thin stream of droplets, discarding the milk solids in the bottom of the saucepan. Blend until creamy sauce forms. Season to taste with salt, pepper and more lemon juice, if needed.  Serve immediately.

To build the Benedict: toasted English muffins, sautéed crab cakes, a poached egg and all drizzled with spicy Hollandaise sauce.

The Verdict:  DEElicious.  What a wonderful combination of flavors.  The blender Hollandaise turned out to be perfectly luscious and creamy in texture and really did look just like Bon Appetit’s photo.  Making the Hollandaise sauce a bit spicy was such a nice compliment to the crab cakes and with the creamy yolk from the poached egg…MUUUUWAAAA.  An exquisite combination of flavors.

Crab Cakes Benedict With Spicy Hollandaise Sauce…It’s What’s For Sunday Brunch.

One Year Ago: Crispy Tilapia Tacos

Comments

Today I really am speechless – this looks fantastic. I’d have “something” benedict regularly were it not for the Hollandaise, but with this recipe I’m in. I’ve had many double yolkers in my life (I’ve eaten a few eggs you know), and it sticks in my mind that certain varieties or just a particular hen lays them. We used to get eggs somewhere and got lots of doubles, but I can’t remember the details. Hope you’re having a great Easter.

Great tip about substituting hot water for some of the butter. I would probably eat saw dust if it had enough Hollandaise on it–it’s like buttery crack!

Absolutely gorgeous! I have seen the blender method but just haven’t tried it because it is a PITA to get our blender out where we store it. So the stove top method is actually easier for us, ha ha.

You know, if you keep posting these crazy good, and oh so tempting recipes, I’m going to have to name my huge new butt Hollandaise. :D Just kidding – you are very good to cut the excessiveness from your recipes like the substitution in this recipe. And it sounds amazing with that peppery Hollandaise . . . right up my alley!

5. Brenda S 'Okie in Colorado' says

I can’t wait to try this recipe. I love eggs benedict. I get a lot of double yolks, but up until yesterday, I hadn’t found one while making deviled eggs. It was interesing to see two little yolk spaces. Hope you had a wonderful Easter Sunday.

wow, I didn’t think about the shell being divided and that visual. I did make deviled eggs on the same day…too bad that egg didn’t show up in that boiling water.

Want it! Sounds absolutely amazing…hollandaise is a total weakness for me…I could eat it with a spoon…add some spice and it’s double the pleasure ;) I love getting double-yolked eggs. Makes me feel lucky!

I always make hollandaise in a blender or processor. It’s soooo much easier. I first saw a recipe for it in one of my very first cookbooks – The New York Times Cookbook when Craig Claibourne was the Times Editor. Great breakfast Lea Ann. Need a new neighbor?

And yes, I’ve seen a double yolk. Kind of like a double rainbow don’t you think? I see one reader heard it was bad luck. I sure hope not.

I wish I would have found this process way before now. Much easier. I really would like to get a NYT Cookbook. Sam, I’d much rather have you as a neighbor as a couple of those that I currently have. ;-)

I’ve never even tasted Hollandaise… isn’t that just ridiculous??? I’ll have to give it a try some weekend. Thanks for the blender tip – it seems like it’d be way easier than on the stove!