Breakfast Hot Dogs

Breakfast hot dogs.  A few months ago I watched Ina Garten grill up a Sunday breakfast feast and promptly bookmarked her sausage breakfast hotdogs. Served up with some country fried potatoes on a beautiful sunny Memorial Day morning was a perfect holiday treat.

I started out by thinly slicing some potatoes for some good old-fashioned fried potatoes just like my mom used to do. I fried them in a combination of olive oil and bacon fat and with a dusting of salt and pepper and they needed nothing else. Crispy brown on the outside, tender on the inside. Mmm..waaa!

Meanwhile out on the grill were the sizzling spinach and feta flavored chicken sausages waiting to be drizzled with the star of this meal…Ina’s Mustard and Mayo sauce . It’s a luxurious white creamy mayo, sour cream mixture with a hint of tangy mustard. This sauce would make a shoe taste good.

Before I share the recipe, let’s talk about sour cream. A couple of months ago when posting a recipe that included sour cream, I received an email from Cathy over at Noble Pig saying  “all sour creams are  not created equal”.  Hmm…never really thought about it. She continued that she always buys the high quality Tillamook brand. Not having Tillamook available (darn it), I did indeed study sour creams the next time I was at the market. I bought Wallaby brand and the difference between it and the run of  the mill product from Safeway was  like night and day…and only for about a dollar more. It had a consistency comparable to Greek Yogurt and a  creamy richer flavor.

Ok, back to the breakfast, here’s Ina’s recipe.

Ina’s Grilled Chicken Sausage with Mustard Mayo:

Good Quality Chicken Sausages, served on buns like a hot dog and topped with mustard mayo.

1 1/2 cups good mayonnaise
3 Tbs Dijon mustard
1 1/2 Tbs whole-grain mustard
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp kosher salt

1. Whisk the mayonnaise, mustards, sour cream and salt together in a small bowl. Serve at room temperature.

Ok, I’m serving it up, do you want your poached egg on your potatoes?

Or on your hot dog?

Ina’s Chicken Sausage Hot DogsThey’re What’s For Breakfast.

Comments

I purchase Wallaby yogurts but the Horizon sour cream. I will read the back of the labels next time to make sure it will be the “good” sour cream. Thanks for the update!
    Yes, I would also like an poached egg on my potatoes. Yummy.

You’re killing me with this meal – I’m reading blogs before breakfast. Like you I will immediately put this in the bookmarks and when I have it I’ll have my eggs both ways. Great job with the meal and the photos.

Larry, because of my job, I always read food blogs very early in the morning…which unfortunately results in food on the brain all day long (ok, that’s what I’m blaming it on) :-)

3. Pam says

Make a shoe taste good! You crack me up! :)
    OK, inquring minds want to know, did you use your contraption to poach the egg or did you free style it?

Holy Moly, I’ll take my egg on the potatoes. (fried potatoes remind me of my mom, too.) This looks amazing, LA! I’m dying to try the mustard mayo on the chicken dogs in my fridge – sounds like a great condiment. Our little store here has the Tillamook, but I’m interested in trying the Wallaby for a comparison. I’ll let you know. :) Great post, captured beautifully!

What Larry said. No one should read this BEFORE breakfast cause all of a sudden Cheerios seem really lame.

Photos are beautiful. Are you submitting to the photo sites?

Your fried potatoes sound awesome and that soft tender egg is making my mouth water. I like the Wallaby vanilla yogurt though some people think it is a little runny.

I love Ina May and those look delicious! I never really thought about what’s in my sour cream either. I usually just buy the Trader Joe’s brand. Now I’m wondering if that’s any better or worse than the others?

Breakfast hot dogs look fabulous. You can never go wrong with an Ina recipe.

This really is quite impressive. A perfect Sunday breakfast.

9. swibirun says

The weiner done broke the egg in the last shot….there’s gonna be a baby! I mean errr, ummmmm, uhhhh.

Those are such a cute idea, really! And I love having a reason to have the grill fired up for breakfast, ya make me proud;)