Ham and Manchego Sandwich

I call it “The Spaniard” even though the only thing Spanish about the final version of this sandwich is the Manchego Cheese. Let’s take a look.

Here’s what you’ll need for this ham and manchego sandwich.

• 8 slices of Black Forest Ham
  • About 8 thick slices of onion, caramelized
  • One roasted yellow bell pepper
  • One roasted red bell pepper (both divided in half for each sandwich)
  • 2 thick slices Manchego Cheese

You can also use Serrano Ham.

4 slices of pumpernickel bread slathered in mayonnaise

Starting with the ham, layer ingredients on one slice of bread with the Manchego Cheese ending up on top. Place the two sandwich halves on a baking sheet and broil until cheese is bubbly and just starting to brown.  Remove from oven, top with remaining slice of bread, press down to a bit on the top to press everything together, plate and dig in. Makes 2 sandwiches.

I like to serve a lot of simple garden salads with my meals.  Makes me feel healthy.  This time served with a tangerine vinaigrette.

“The Spaniard”…It’s What’s For Dinner.

Comments

That is one amazing looking sandwich. If that is what you were even remotely served at Tipsy’s Liqour World, all I can say is wow.

btw, A liqour store the size of a Costco with a big neon martini glass-really? I love it!

YUM! I will make this on my next day off (I do hope it’s soon). Our nearest liquor store is the Majestic… it sadly does not live up to it’s name. Thanks for a great post!

I have a hard time commenting about how bleepity bleep good that sandwich looks without using dirty words. Just wow.

Did I mention, wow?

The broiled cheese brings tears to my eyes.

Inventive sandwiches like this are the best. So out of the ordinary and yet so delicious. I love the story of it’s discovery. Maybe I need to hang out more in my local liquor store. you know. For food inspiration.

LOVE this post! The sandwich looks fabulous – not sure what Manchego cheese is, but I’m anxious to find out. And I’m with you, the salad side = healthy. Your photos are just beautiful!!

I’ve been a sandwich man my entire life and would love to dive into this baby. It is awesome and I like everything on it – great job.

Wow, what a sammie! Totally delicious.
    Our local liquor store sports the same name as ever other liquor store in the province. We have a medieval monopoly in Ontario, and we also enjoy the right to pay three times more than the US for the same products. Yay!

Seriously delicious looking sandwich. Our liquor stores are called ABC stores. That would be the first sign that children recognize – go figure.

I get glassy eyed and lost in the really big liquor stores. I prefer the smaller operations, where the guy behind the counter will always notice that I have no idea what wine to buy since I have been staring at the same shelf for 15 minutes. He will then come over, pick out a bottle for me and put me out of my misery.

As for the sammie (Ooops! I channeled Rachel Ray!) I loooove pumpernickle, and I love that sandwich season is rolling back around again, which means I can invite the spaniard over for dinner :D

Lea Ann…whatever u may call these…they are super and rock….i could have a few of these right now and still wan more….oh they are so sod elicious with the perfect combis galore….
    cheers and happy day to u….

11. cookthebooksclub says

Wow! That is quite the sandwich–it looks amazing. Especially loving the manchego melted on top–it’s one of my favorite cheeses. ;-)

Wow – great looking sandwich! I love manchego. I bet that would rock grilled or done in a pannini press too.

There’s liquor store that we pass on our way up north that I like: Lake Aire Bottle Shop.

Thanks for the recipe.