Chicken Enchiladas With Tomato Cream Sauce

Rick Bayless Chicken Enchiladas Recipe.  Roasting fresh tomatoes and peppers and topped with a tomato cream sauce and baked until bubbly, this is our favorite enchilada recipe.

005Today we’re cooking indoors, using our indoor voices, because it’s 19 DEGREES  in Denver. I didn’t know traditional fall colors of gold, rust, and yellow would also include white. Yes, a dusting of snow covers my beautiful summer, now dead, flowers.  They’ve even cancelled the Rockies Playoff Game tonight because of inclement weather.  We’ve gone from Summer, one week of Fall and smack dab into Winter.  I doubt Alaska has even dipped below 20 degrees yet this year.  Puff the Magic Weber didn’t even have time to frolic in the Autumn mist, he’s all icy.

Before we get started, I’d like to climb on my soapbox and talk a little about Mexican Food. I love Mexican food. I’m NOT a fan of Americanized Mexican food joints. You know those places that bring you a huge plate of steaming greasy glop that’s covered in two cups of a greasy melted yellow cheese product covering up  greasy fried ground beef that’s wrapped in a greasy fried white flour tortilla served with a side of odd looking bland tasting creamed beans also served with melted cheese…Messy and gross.  There, I’ve said it and I’m glad I did.  I don’t know a lot about true TexMex however.

Food historians tell us TexMex cuisine first occurred in the 1940s.  TexMex restaurants  surfaced in Southwestern cities with large Mexican populations and is an adaption of Mexican dishes by Texas cooks. The TexMex “fad” began in the 1970s.  It is native to the U.S., born on our soil, and chimichangas, fajitas and nachos were invented to please the American palate.

I am however, a fan of Rick Bayless, who has spent many years living in Mexico and brings to us his fresh, delicious creations inspired by authentic Mexican cuisine.  The following recipe is adapted from a recipe I found in one of his cookbooks.

So, pour yourself a glass of wine and let’s get started, I’m making Chicken Enchiladas with tomato cream sauce:

003

First, let’s make the tomato cream sauce.  Place about 15 medium sized tomatoes and 2 jalapeno peppers on a baking sheet.  Broil in oven about 5 inches from heat for five minutes.  I threw in one little Anaheim pepper. You can also use canned tomatoes, which skips this step altogether, but you’d still need to roast the jalapeno.  I would suggest when in season, use fresh tomatoes and this method.

004

When you start to see charred spots, turn the tomatoes and peppers over and broil another 5 minutes.  Remove from oven and cool.  Working over the same baking sheet, remove skins and cores from the tomatoes and remove skins from the peppers.  I’m a fraidy cat so I also removed veins and seeds from the jalapeno.  Leave them if you like the heat.

005

Place tomatoes and peppers along with the juices from the baking sheet into a food processor and puree.

006

In a Dutch oven saute one chopped onion in olive oil until tender, about 7 minutes.  Lard or bacon fat is better here.

007

Turn up heat to medium high and add pureed tomato/chili mixture to onion.

009

Add chicken broth.  Partially cover and simmer for 15 minutes.  When done, texture should be soupy.  If too thick add a little more broth.  Add 1/2 C. cream, set aside and keep warm.

003

Meanwhile, coat three boneless, skinless chicken breast halves in olive oil and roast for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  Cool and shred the meat.  Set aside.

Grate two cups of Monterey Jack cheese.  I prefer Mexican melting cheese, but Safeway doesn’t offer the brand I like and I didn’t want to make a special trip up to Whole Foods.  So, Monterey Jack it is!

005

On a baking sheet, place 12 corn tortillas.  Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cover with a towel to keep warm.

006

Spoon 1/2 of the tomato cream sauce into a baking pan.  Working fast, so tortillas don’t cool, place shredded chicken inside a warm tortilla and roll.

008

Start placing enchiladas seam side down into the sauce.

010

012

Spoon the remaining sauce over the enchiladas.

014

Sprinkle with Monterey Jack Cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until bubbly and cheese just starts to brown.

023

To serve, place Enchiladas on a plate, garnish with onion rings and cilantro.

I served this with black beans which had been simmered with jalapeno pepper slices and topped with a dollop of sour cream.

019

The salad:  greens, tangerines, avocado slices, diced fresh tomatoes, yellow bell pepper, topped with a creamy cheese vinaigrette.

vinaigrette:

• 3/4 C. olive oil
  • 1/4 C. seasoned rice vinegar
  • 3 T. Mayonnaise
  • 3 T. grated Parmesan Cheese
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust flavors and add salt and pepper.  Pour in a jar with a secure lid and refrigerate until ready to use.  Shake well before pouring onto salad.

Chicken Enchiladas

• About 20 small – medium fresh tomatoes
  • 2 Jalapeno Peppers
  • 2 T. Olive oil or pork lard or bacon drippings
  • 1 medium sweet onion
  • 2 C. chicken broth
  • Salt
  • 1/2 C. heavy whipping cream
  • 2 C. shredded Mexican melting cheese (Chihuahua  quesadilla or asadero) or Monterey Jack
  • 12 corn tortillas

A few sliced rounds of white onion, separated into rings and cilantro for garnish

note:  If using canned tomatoes, roast the peppers and remove the skin and place canned drained tomatoes and peppers directly into the food processor and puree.

026

We paired this with a Borsao Ciranza.  It has a cherry red color with touches of garnet and an elegant, deep ruby background. In the nose, we perceive its great intensity where fruity and varietal tones are combined perfectly with vanilla and smooth oak tannins. Intense in the mouth, fleshy and well-structured with an ample and pleasing aftertaste.  (I didn’t write that, that comes directly from the web site – but yes “what they say”).

Comments

I love enchiladas! Those look wicked good, love that sauce. The store I go to doesn’t carry any decent Mexican cheeses, I always use Jack. Pepper Jack is good for it, too.

I agree, if used in moderation, Monterey Jack is just fine. Love Pepper Jack. That would have been great for this dish. Thanks for the visit to my blog. Look forward to getting to know you and your blog better.

Thanks Bob

Lea Ann

I am so jealous of the cold weather that you are experiencing. I am still waiting for a break in this heat.
    I love Rick Bayless, great authentic Mexican food. Your recipe looks fabulous. A good bottle of wine to enjoy with these enchiladas, just brings it to a new level. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

3. Wandering Coyote says

Oooooooh! Just…ooooooooooooh! Those enchiladas are amazing!

(I am too lazy to log out of WordPress and in to Blogger to have the link to ReTorte up here, but there’s only one WC out there…:))

Wow those look good! I like the idea of adding a little cream to the sauce. After reading one of Rick’s books I got a cast iron griddle so I can brown the veggies on the grill. we’ve got a dozen or so tomatoes sitting on the counter right now, so I’ll have to give this recipe a try soon.

Looks totally delicious! This is my favourite way to make sauce too, except I am too lazy to peel skins off of anything! ;-)
    For some reason we don’t seem to get corn tortillas up here.
    ps. if you need to warm up – come to Canada! It only got down to 0 last night. (I think that’s 32 American.)

i had the exact same opinion of Tex-Mex (and in fact plain ild Mex), til my neighbor moved in about a year ago. Amazing flavors. Nothing like the glop you described (and I had).

These look and sound amazing. GREAT recipe and very excellent instructions

I have a confession to make. It’s a little embarassing, but we are all friends here, right?
    I don’t like corn tortillas. I’m serious. But wait, it gets worse. You know the corn flour used in a ton of Mexican cooking from corn tortillas to tamales? Don’t care for it. It’s actually quite depressing. But I have made enchiladas with flour tortillas, and they are “ok”.
    Maybe your recipe will save me. Maybe, just maybe, I can change “sniff”.

It really, really does sound yummy, btw :D

Well, this is a first. I’ve never heard of anyone who didn’t like corn tortillas. Flour tortillas are good – they just have that “white thing” going on. I try to use corn more. The sauce is pretty mild and creamy, I doubt it would mask that hideous “corn” flavor. WAIT A MINUTE!!! And this comes from someone who claims their favorite ingredient is sweet corn???? Something doesn’t jive here. :-)

I know! I just don’t get it! I think there may be somehting worng with me. I love polenta, I love grits. I even love corn tortilla chips. But Mexican corn flour products, not so much. And I’m sooooo not a picky eater. Maybe I just need some therapy… or a road trip to Mexico! :D

I can’t believe it’s really that cold already! I am SO not looking forward to winter.

I am with you on the Tex-Mex front. The thought of it makes my stomach churn. I don’t think I could eat it anymore, actually, without feeling physically ill.

Rick Bayless’s food, on the other hand, is so fresh and delicious. Mexican at it’s best. I love this chicken enchilada recipe. The tomato cream sauce is the perfect addition.

That was one pretty salad and yummy lookin enchiladas. Rick Bayliss is one of my food heroes. I have all his booka and someday will go to his restaurants.

You are going to have the winter to dream abou barbequing. I am pretty spoiled. My barbeque can be used all year long. The climate in the East Bay is moderate with no extreme weathor. The patio is covered if it rains.

I have four of his cookbooks. I need to inventory and place remaining ones that I don’t have on my Christmas List. I’ve not been to Chicago, but will make a trip someday for his restaurants.

My patio isn’t covered, but I do grill nearly year round. There’s just those icy days that I say “phooey on that”.

The salad was fantastic. I love fruits and greens with a great dressing.

Thanks for stopping by.

Hey there!

All this time and I never knew you had a blog…. it’s terrific! I will most definitely add you to my blogroll….

Linda from Cooking Tip of the Day

PS… don’t forget to emil me your contact name and address so I can have Country Bob send you your prize!

11. Shelly W says

Looks delicious! Tex-Mex food gives me a gut ache, too. I’m sure you can really taste the fresh ingredients in these enchiladas. I’m fan of Rick Bayless as well, especially after eating at Topolobampo in Chicago. I really need to get his cookbooks :)