Old Fashioned Classic Macaroni Salad
Make ahead, Classic Macaroni Salad recipe, perfect for any potluck or picnic thrown your way.
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1-2 teaspoons sweet pickle juice
- 1/2 sweet onion finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs finely chopped, leaves reserved and finely chopped
- 3 sweet pickles finely chopped
- 2 hard-cooked eggs chopped
- 1/8 cup fresh chives chopped
- 1/2 cup pasta cooking water
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, add the elbow macaroni, and cook according to package directions. With a measuring cup, save some of the pasta cooking water. Drain the macaroni.
For the dressing: Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, Dijon, pickle juice, salt and pepper. Stir to mix well.
Add the onion, celery and chopped pickles. Add the macaroni and about 1/2 cup of the starchy macaroni hot cooking water. Add the celery, onions, celery leaves, chives and chopped hard boiled egg. Gently stir. Garnish with celery leaves and wedges of hard boiled eggs.
Calories: 410kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 194mg | Potassium: 236mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 251IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1mg