Southwestern Salad with Corn and Black Beans
Southwestern Salad Recipe with black beans and corn ... and so much more. A beautiful combination of greens and vegetables with a feisty honey lime vinaigrette.
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice about 1 large lime
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 large head romaine lettuce or artisan salad greens, chopped
- 1 bell pepper orange or red, chopped
- ½ medium sweet onion halved and then sliced in to half-rings
- ½ small Jicama peeled and cut into match sticks
- 1 small zucchini small chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup sweet corn thawed from frozen, or cut off the cob.
- 1 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 4 whole radish thin sliced
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Tortilla strips, jalapeno rings and Mexican crumbling cheese for garnish I purchase tortilla strips from the grocery store
For the dressing, combine lime juice, honey, cumin garlic powder, salt and olive oil in a large mason jar. Shake vigorously to combine ingredients. Set aside.
For the salad, place corn, two ears at a time, in the microwave and cook for 3 1/2 minutes.
Remove from microwave with a hot pad and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
After cooling, cut bottom end of corn off, about 1 1/2 inches from end. Pull back husk and silks (almost all of the silk should easily pull away). Cut kernels from husks and set aside.
Combine corn and other salad ingredients in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add dressing and stir to coat all ingredients. Garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.
Serve with tortilla strips on top or place a bowl on the side and let guests help themselves.
Calories: 166kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 155mg | Potassium: 356mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1025IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg