Lemony Potato Soup with Mayocoba Beans
This is a recipe for potato, and vegetable soup with Mayocoba beans. A thick, hearty, delicious and healthy bowl of soup, and a recipe large enough to feed a hungry crowd. Perfect for a cozy Winter Sunday dinner.
- Pam cooking spray
- 2 cups Mayocoba beans dried, washed and picked over
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- 2 large sweet onions or yellow onions, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon oregano dried, preferably Mexican
- 1 tablespoon basil dried
- 1 teaspoon thyme dried
- 1 teaspoon dill dried
- 1 teaspoon rosemary dried
- pinch of New Mexico Red Chile Powder or cayenne
- 2 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 ribs celery, with leaves diced
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans chopped tomatoes undrained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley fresh, rough chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- juice of one lemon
- Additional chopped parsley for garnish
- Paprika for garnish
- Paper thin slices of lemon for garnish
Spray a large heavy pot with the Pam and in it soak the beans in enough water to cover. Soak beans over night. If you want to use chicken stock to soak beans, then refrigerate. Soaking beans in water can be done on the counter over night.
The next day drain beans. Add chicken chicken stock to cover the beans by 1 1/2 inches. Bring to boil, then turn down heat to low. Add one of the onions, the bay leaf, all herbs and chile powder. Gently simmer 1 hour.
Add the carrots, potatoes, celery and tomatoes. Let simmer covered until the beans and vegetables are meltingly tender. About 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large Pam sprayed skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the remaining onion and saute until softened about 3 minutes. Scrap the onion into a food processor. Add the parsley, garlic and lemon juice. Puree until smooth. Stir the puree into the soup. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more lemon juice and chile powder if needed.
Cook about 5 minutes more. Serve hot garnishing each bowl with parsley, paprika and lemon - all optional.
Calories: 322kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 72mg | Potassium: 1262mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2944IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 117mg | Iron: 6mg