Roast Turkey Lentil and Barley Soup
The lentils and barley give this turkey soup an earthy and down-home flavor
- 1/2 cup French Lentils French or regular green lentils
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 carrots peeled and thin sliced
- 2 ribs celery sliced cross ways
- 1 cup yellow onion small dice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups Roasted Turkey or Chicken Cut into bite sized pieces
- 16 ounce Canned chopped tomatoes undrained
- 1/2 cup Quick Cooking Barley
Measure lentils and place them in a colander. Rinse and set aside.
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add sliced carrots and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add celery and onion and cook for another 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
Deglaze the vegetables with 1/2 cup of wine. Cook, scraping up bits from the bottom of the pan. Add Chicken Broth and spices. Stir until all is mixed together.
Add lentils and remaining 1/2 cup of wine. Cook lentils according to package instructions. 10 minutes before lentils are to be done, add quick cooking barley, tomatoes and turkey or chicken.
This recipe calls for Quick Cooking Barley which cooks in 10 minutes. If using pearl barley, adjust cooking time instructions accordingly. I've included affiliate links for your convenience.
Calories: 186kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 672mg | Potassium: 466mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3720IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 2mg