Sweet Potato Apple Soup with Chipotle
A hearty, flavorful vegetarian soup.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion chopped
- 2 ribs celery cut crosswise into thin slices
- 2 Granny Smith apples cores removed and cut into 1 inch dice
- 1 large clove garlic peeled and thin sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from canned chipotles with adobo or more depending on taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch dice
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seed
- Cilantro leaves and Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream for garnish
Place a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add the oil and butter and heat until the butter melts. Add the onion and celery and cook until tender and translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the apples, garlic, ginger and chipotle sauce. Season with salt and pepper and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add the stock, water and sweet potatoes to the pot. Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer soup until the vegetables are tender, 25 - 30 minutes.
Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Add the lime juice, taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Divide soup among bowls, garnish with pumpkin seeds and cilantro leaves and serve.
Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 874mg | Potassium: 519mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 12179IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1mg