Broccoli, Minute Rice, Cheez Whiz Casserole
Rice, Broccoli, Cheez Whiz, Cream of Mushroom Soup, Onion and Celery make this Classic Old Fashioned Side Dish.
- 1/3 cup onion chopped
- 1/3 cup celery chopped
- 1/4 cup oleo oleo is an old name for margarine. Butter will work for this recipe.
- 1 cup minute rice uncooked
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup or Cream of Chicken
- 1 cup water or milk or chicken broth
- 8 ounce Cheez Whiz
- 10 ounce box frozen broccoli Use broccoli florets, or broccoli pieces. A 12 ounce bag of broccoli works fine for this recipe.
- Pam non-stick spray
Let the package of frozen broccoli partially thaw. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a fry pan, saute the onion and celery in the oleo (butter or margarine) until soft.
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and stir together.
Turn into a 2-quart casserole pan which has been coated with Pam. Bake uncovered for 30 - 40 minutes.
This recipe is very old and calls for a box of frozen broccoli, which is hard to find. I have used a 12 ounce bag of broccoli florets and it works just fine.
If you can, choose a 2-quart casserole dish that is wider with low sides. As pictured in this article. Of course a deeper casserole dish will work fine, but the lower sides and wider base of a shallow baking dish helps the casserole cook quicker and more even.
Calories: 297kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 956mg | Potassium: 503mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 603IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 250mg | Iron: 1mg