Southwestern Chicken and Bean Soup
Super easy weeknight dinner chicken and bean soup
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 pound Chicken Breast boneless, skinless, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium Sweet onion diced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper seeds and veins removed and fine chopped
- 2 14.5 ounce cans Chicken Broth
- 2 15 ounce cans Red Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce seeds and veins removed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon Adobo Sauce from the can of chiles
- 2 teaspoon Mexican oregano crushed
- 1 teaspoon Ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Red chile powder preferrably New Mexico, or ancho chile powder
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese or Sour Cream for topping
Heat a Dutch oven over medium high heat. When the pot is hot, add the oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the onions, chicken pieces and chopped jalapeno.
Stirring often, cook until chicken has started to brown and onions are tender. About 5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients except for chicken and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
Ladle into soup bowls and serve with toppings of your choice, tortilla chips, grated cheese, sour cream or chopped avocado. Or all.
Dried Kidney Beans: If you'd like to make this soup with dried kidney beans, soak 1 cup of red kidney beans in water overnight. Make sure there's enough water to cover the beans by one inch. The next morning, drain the beans. Replace the water, add a tablespoon of lard or butter and a bay leaf. Bring to a boil and let cook on high for 10 minutes to destroy toxins. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook on low until beans are tender. Approximately 1-2 hours, depending on how fresh the beans are. Drain beans and proceed with the recipe
Serve this with Super Moist Cornbread and Churros Cheesecake Bars for Dessert.
Calories: 142kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 611mg | Potassium: 366mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 72IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg