Easy Grilled Chicken Thigh Tacos
These Green Chile Chicken Soft Tacos are easy enough for a weeknight meal and flavorful enough for any serious taco lover.
- 4 Boneless skinless Chicken Thighs
- Salt and Pepper To taste
- 2 teaspoons chile powder single blend such as Ancho or New Mexico Red.
- 1 lime wedges for squeezing
- 6 Corn Tortillas Warmed. Flour tortillas will work here also.
Use a meat mallet to pound the thighs to even thickness. Those mallet marks will also aide in holding on the seasonings. Season each thigh with salt, pepper and chile powder.
Using a paper towel and vegetable oil, oil the grates so the chicken won't stick. Heat the grill to 450 degrees. Turn the heat down to 350 degrees. Add the seasoned chicken and cook, turning often.
Cook the chicken, turning often, until the pieces are starting to become dark and crispy in spots and a digital read thermometer reads 165 when placed in a thicker piece of the chicken.
Rough chop the cooked chicken thighs rather than trying to shred the meat.
Serve with Roasted Tomatillo Salsa, guacamole, or hot sauce. Serve with warm Corn or flour tortillas and lime wedges.
Toppings: Crumbled Cotija Cheese. Lime wedges for squeezing. Raw chopped sweet onion, or sliced green onions work nice here. Sliced or chopped avocado and cilantro are traditional.
- I recommend sticking with boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. Dark meat cooks up nice and juicy and is loaded with chicken flavor.
- Make sure the grill grates are nice and hot, those crispy edges on the chicken are the best part.
- Use a digital real meat thermometer to make sure those thighs are cooked to a safe internal temperature of 165.
- Because of the firm texture of cooked chicken thighs, just rough chop them rather than try to shred them to make tacos.
Calories: 224kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0.02g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 135mg | Potassium: 373mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 0.5g | Vitamin A: 327IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 2mg