Sticky Lips Chicken
Chicken thighs and legs are browned and then braised in a luxurious veal demi glace, brown mustard sauce.
- 3 pounds skin-on chicken legs thighs and drumsticks separated
- 1/4 cup canola oil or crisco shortening
- 3 large shallots peeled and sliced
- ½ cup brown mustard
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or any other wine-based vinegar
- ¼ pound veal demi-glace Bonewerks CulinArte is recommended
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon chopped
- Salt and pepper
Liberally salt and pepper the chicken. In a large non-stick fry pan brown the chicken in oil over medium heat, about 10 minutes per side. Remove and let drain on paper towels.
Drain off all but about 2 tablespoons of fat. Lightly brown the shallots over medium heat. Add the mustard, wine, sherry, veal demi-glace and fresh tarragon leaves, and stir. Add the chicken and the sauce to a Dutch oven. Cover with enough water to bring the liquid about halfway up the sides of the chicken. Stir once, cover and cook in a 350ºF oven for 1 hour until chicken is golden. Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, noodles or polenta.
Calories: 421kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 120mg | Sodium: 152mg | Potassium: 453mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 217IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 2mg