Chipotle Chicken Salad Tacos with Avocado, Red Skin Potatoes and Romaine
A tingly tangy chicken salad makes a great taco filling.
- 1 inch large red skin or Yukon Gold potato sliced 1/4 thick
- 3 Tablespoons cider vinegar or 2 tablespoons cider and 1 tablespoons balsamic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano Mexican if you have it
- 2 canned chipotle chiles en adobo seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from the can of chiles en adobo
- 1/4 sweet onion fine chopped
- 6 ounces cooked chicken shredded (rotisserie chicken makes this easy)
- 2 cups sliced romaine leaves
- 1 inch avocado flesh scooped from skin and cut into 1/4 cubes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 soft corn tortillas warmed
Place the sliced potato into a large microwaveable bowl, drizzle with 1/4 cup water and sprinkle generously with salt. Cover with plastic wrap, poke a couple of holes in the top and microwave on high for about 4 minutes, or until tender but not mushy. Scoop the potatoes onto a cutting board, leaving the liquid behind. Let the potatoes cool.
Add vinegar, oregano, chipotle chiles, adobo sauce, and onion to the bowl with the potato cooking water to make a dressing. Mix well, then taste and season with salt to taste.
Use a fork to break the cooled potatoes into 1/2 inch pieces, then scoop them into a large bowl. Add the chicken and drizzle on the dressing and toss everything together. Refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes to blend flavors.
Just before serving, add the lettuce and avocado to the bowl. Drizzle with the oil and toss to combine. Serve with warm tortillas for soft tacos.
Calories: 160kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 110mg | Potassium: 168mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1668IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 1mg