Grilled Watermelon Salad with Curried Shrimp
Fire up that grill for this light and refreshing Summer meal of grilled watermelon paired with curried shrimp
- For the Grilled Watermelon
- 2 slices watermelon seedless, rind removed, sliced 1 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- For the Curried Shrimp
- 16 large shrimp peeled, deveined and tails left on
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- For the Salad
- 1/2 English cucumber coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Cup tender greens mache or watercress
- 1/2 cup Greek-style whole-milk yogurt
For The Shrimp: In a bowl combine curry powder and oil and mix well.
Add shrimp to the oil and curry mixture and marinate in refrigerator for one hour, covered. In the meantime prepare the mache salad.
Heat a large fry pan over med-high heat. Add some of the oil marinade, add shrimp and saute about 2 minutes per side. Or using a grill basket, grill shrimp for about 2 minutes per side.
For the Mache Salad: Combine all ingredients except yogurt in a bowl and toss well. Set aside.
For the Watermelon: Heat grill or grill pan to medium. Brush grates or pan with olive oil.
Sprinkle each slice of watermelon with sugar on one side only.
Place sugared side down on hot grill. Grill for 2 - 3 minutes peeking underneath until you see good grill marks on the cooking side. Don't turn, just grill on one side and serve.
To Plate: Swirl a large dollop of the yogurt on each plate. Arrange a slice of watermelon, the shrimp and the mache salad on top. Serve and enjoy.
Calories: 439kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 123mg | Sodium: 403mg | Potassium: 574mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 2039IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 163mg | Iron: 3mg