Cabbage Stew (Sweet and Sour Russian Soup)
A unique hearty soup, packed full of flavor. Joseph Saltzman's Shchi. Russian Cabbage Soup, a family friend inspired recipe
- 3 Tablesoon Butter
- 1 large Onion diced
- 1 large Carrot scrubbed and chopped
- 1 large Parsnip scrubbed and chopped
- 1 medium turnip scrubbed and chopped
- 1 1/2 Quarts Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 Cups Green Cabbage cut into ribbons
- 1 1/2 Cups sauerkraut well drained do not use canned, use bottled in the refrigerated section
- 15 ounce Can Whole Tomatoes buzzed in a food processor, or mashed to chunks
- 3 Cloves Garlic pressed
- 1/4 Cup Dark Raisins
- 1/4 Cup Golden Raisins
- 10 Pitted Prunes diced
- 2 Tablespoon Honey or more to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Cider Vinegar
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 - 8 small Red-Skinned potatoes
- Sour Cream for garnish
In a 10 inch skillet add the butter over medium heat. Add onion and sautee until soft, about 3 - 4 minutes. Add carrot, turnip and parsnip. Continue cooking until vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a large soup pot and add all remaining ingredients except potatoes and sour cream.
Bring to a boil, turn down heat to low and let simmer, covered, about 1 hour. Or until fruit has almost disintegrated into broth. Taste for seasoning and adjust. The soup should be decidedly sweet and sour. Adjust with honey and vinegar.
Towards end of simmering, boil potatoes until tender.
To serve, scoop a small amount of potatoes into soup bowl, ladle soup on top and add a dollop of sour cream. Serve with a chunk of crusty bread and you're good to go.
Calories: 329kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 730mg | Potassium: 1847mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 1660IU | Vitamin C: 52mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 3mg