Baked Ziti with Fire Roasted Tomatoes
Easy no fuss recipe for Baked Ziti with Fire Roasted Tomatoes.
- 2 1/2 cups ziti pasta 8 oz, uncooked
- 1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef at least 90%
- 1 cup sweet onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini cut in half lengthwise, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 15 ounce tomato sauce canned
- 14.5 ounce Fire roasted tomatoes diced and drained
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt kosher or sea
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese 3 oz
Heat oven to 375°F. Cook and drain pasta as directed on box.
Meanwhile, spray 12x8-inch (2 quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked.
Stir zucchini into beef mixture; cook 2 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling. Add drained pasta; toss to coat. Spread in baking dish.
Cover dish tightly with foil; bake 20 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered about 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Increase covered bake time to 30 minutes.
Substitution: If you like, use ground turkey or chicken in place of the ground beef. Substitute 1 teaspoon dried oregano for fresh.
Calories: 237kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 693mg | Potassium: 557mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 752IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 132mg | Iron: 3mg