Crock-pot Beef Stew with Butternut Squash and Marsala
A crockpot beef stew recipe that's unique and flavorful.
- 2 pounds beef chuck cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp fine sea or Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Olive or Canola oil for sautéing
- 2 pounds Butternut Squash cut into ¾ - 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic bruised
- 1 cup Sweet Marsala of drinking quality
- 2 cups Beef or Chicken Stock
- Bouquet garni 2 sprigs rosemary, 1 bay leaf, several sprigs of thyme and several large sprigs of parsley tied together with cotton butcher’s string - or bay leaf and pinches of dry rosemary and thyme
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
Dredge the beef cubes in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Heat a heavy Dutch oven over medium high heat, add a drizzle of oil, and brown beef in batches, refreshing oil as needed – take care not to burn the pan. Remove browned meat and place in crockpot.
Refresh pan with oil if needed, add onions and sauté until tender, scraping pan regularly with a wooden spoon to break down crust. Add Marsala and stir to finish, reduce by 25%.
Add this mixture to the crockpot. Add beef stock and cook on low for 8 hours.
Peel and cube butternut squash and add during the last two hours of cooking time..
Serve over fettuccini, mashed potatoes or wild and brown rice.
Calories: 476kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 293mg | Potassium: 1308mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 16092IU | Vitamin C: 36mg | Calcium: 122mg | Iron: 5mg