This fruit salad disappears fast, down to the last spoonful. Need sunshine on a cloudy day? This is perfect to brighten that Winter table.
My mom and I have had this recipe for over twenty years and have made it over and over.
If I remember right, it a recipe from Taste of Home that we’ve doctored up a bit. The Winter months seem to be the season for this one. Kiwi are always available and pears and apples dominate the fruit section. Add some canned pineapple chunks, bright mandarin oranges for a tropical feel, a crunch of pecans for a savory touch and you’ve got a delicious bright bowl of goodness. So rich in flavor it almost seems like you’re eating dessert rather than a side dish salad.
The dressing is made with the syrup from the pineapples and an egg. Rich in flavor but light enough not the hide the refreshing flavors of the fruit.
Give this one a try. When it’s old outside you’ll get the month of May.
This fruit salad would make a fresh side dish for a beef dinner. Take a look at this Oven Baked Brisket, Perfect meal for a cold winter’s night.
Festive Fruit Salad
- 20 ounce can pineapple chunks in light syrup drained and syrup reserved
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 whole egg beaten
- 22 ounce can mandarin oranges drained
- 3 pears peeled, seeds removed and sliced
- 3 wholes kiwi fruit peeled and sliced
- 2 wholes apples unpeeled & sliced
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Set pineapple aside. Pour juice into a small saucepan; add sugar and flour. Bring to a boil. Quickly stir in egg; cook until thickened. Remove from the heat and let come to room temperature.
- Combine pineapple, oranges, pears, kiwi, apples and pecans. Pour dressing over and blend well. Cover and chill for one hour.
Winter Fruit Salad…It’s what’s for a Side Dish.