Watermelon! Can you imagine a summer picnic without it? I remember as a kid mom giving us big slices of juicy watermelon and making us eat it outside so we wouldn’t make a mess in the house. So juicy you’d have to lean forward to eat it so it wouldn’t run down your arms or get all over your clothes. I’m still of the opinion that the old fashioned seed-filled melons are the tastiest, even with that seed spitting mess.
I found this recipe a couple of years ago, tweaked it a bit and now it’s my “take everywhere all Summer long” dish. I love a sweet and salty combination. When I was in my 20’s and didn’t care what I ate, I used to pile potato chips on top of a candy bar to get my sweet-salty fix…ah, those were the days. 🙂
Let’s address a healthier combination, how about sweet watermelon, salty olives and creamy feta. I think you’ll find it addictive and a real crowd pleaser.
And if you’re looking for more fresh watermelon side dish ideas, don’t miss this one for Yellow Watermelon Summer Salad
Take a look:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon harissa or other hot sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs seedless watermelon rind removed, fruit sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup pitted Moroccan or other oil-cured black olives sliced or halved
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice and harissa and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the watermelon slices on a platter and sprinkle with the onion, parsley, olives and feta. Drizzle the dressing on top and serve.
Looking for more Watermelon Salad Recipe Ideas? Take a look at:
Watermelon and Feta Salad …It’s What’s For Summer.