This is an easy grilled shrimp recipe with lots of butter, a splash of basil and lemon. A recipe for Tyler Florence Ultimate Grilled Shrimp.
I ran across this recipe when I went a-Googling for a new and exciting grilled shrimp idea. When the search returned the combination of these words Tyler …Florence …butter…and basil, this was on our dinner table that night. And folks, this has LOTS of butter.
I thought it was unique because the instructions directed one to stuff the butter/basil mixture under the shell of the shrimp before grilling and then baste with remaining butter while it cooks. I’m not afraid of butter so thought it sounded fabulous.
This was indeed delicious, but it was somewhat of a mess to eat. Have plenty of napkins on hand if you decide to try it. Taking off the shells at the table finds your fingers…well, finger licking messy.
This was a delicious treat, but even I would admit, a little too much butter, the recipe calls for 1/2 cup. I’ll reduce that next time I make this. It also calls for head on shrimp. I just can’t handle that. Last time I tried a recipe with head-on shrimp, I had a couple of eyes rolling around on the floor. Nope, no and please don’t eve let that happen again. 🙂
Tips For Making This Grilled Shrimp Recipe:
- To save time, buy jumbo shrimp. and buy Jumbo shrimp that have heads removed and shells intact. And with shells split and deveined.
- Add a little Chipotle powder to that butter mixture for a little extra excitement
- Substitute Cilantro for the basil.
- Buy a seafood grill grate so you don’t lose any of those precious shrimp to the fire
If you’re looking for more grilled shrimp recipes, here are a couple more to take a look at. Grilled Shrimp and Mahi Mahi Kabobs with Jalapeno Butter is one of my all time favorites. Or Chipotle Grilled Shrimp with cilantro, lime and chipotle aioli.
With all that said, we loved this grilled shrimp recipe and let’s all join in for a big hip-hip-hooray for grilling season. As with many across our country, we’ve had a rough and challenging Spring. This is a photo I took in our back yard May 2, a few hours after our last last blizzard. The sunshine prompted some melting to reveal our first blooming “flowers”. 🙂
Somewhere under that blanket of wet heavy snow are my reliable red Tulips and lush green grass.
Recipe for Tyler Florence Ultimate Grilled Shrimp
I hope you give this Tyler Florence BBQ shrimp recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating. Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite grilled shrimp recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened, 2 sticks
- 1 leaves bunch fresh basil
- 2 lemons divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 in large head-on jumbo shrimp the shell shells split down the back
- Put a large grill pan on 2 burners over medium-high heat or preheat an outdoor gas or charcoal grill and get it very hot. If you're using an outdoor grill, take a few paper towels and fold them over several times to make a thick square. Blot a small amount of oil on the paper towel, then carefully and quickly wipe the hot grates of the grill to make a nonstick grilling surface.
- Meanwhile, add the butter into a food processor with the basil leaves (reserve a few for garnish), the juice of 1 of the lemons, and salt and pepper. Puree.
- Stuff about half of the butter under the shells of the shrimp (about 1/2 tablespoon per shrimp).
- Lay the shrimp on the hot grill and cook for 3 minutes on each side, brushing with the remaining basil butter a few times as they cook.
- To serve, put the shrimp on plates and dot with the remaining basil butter. Squeeze the remaining lemon over the shrimp and garnish the plates with basil leaves.
Looking for more fabulous grilled shrimp recipes? You won’t want to miss:
Tyler Florence Ultimate Grilled Shrimp …It’s What’s for Dinner.