This is a Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe with Cognac and Orange. Tomato soup comes alive with the zest of an orange, orange juice and some very special spirit. We found this to be a beautiful bowl of late Summer goodness.
Even though it’s been in the 90’s here in Denver, I feel as if soup season is upon us. And my tomato plants are loving this extended warm weather. Therefore I have a counter full of beautiful ripe fruit. This recipe calls for four pounds of ripe tomatoes, and I couldn’t think of a better way to use those vibrant garden-fresh tomatoes.
Add a little cream, a hint of orange, a touch of clove, this is one soup that you can be sure will please everyone.
We just returned from our Annual Fall Trip to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. If you’re interested in the area, Elk watching in Colorado, and traveling with dogs in Rocky Mountain National Park, I hope you take a look at the post.
With that said, taking in all that fresh crisp mountain air has put me in the mood for soup.
Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe with Cognac and Orange
I hope you give this tomato soup with cognac and orange recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite creamy tomato soup recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Tomato Soup recipes.
- Southwestern Fire Roasted Creamy Tomato Soup
- Creamy Tomato Basil Parmesan Tomato Soup
- Wintery Chicken Pasta Soup using Canned Tomatoes
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @cookingontheranch so I can check it out and leave a comment!
This soup can be made with canned tomatoes. Just substitute 2 – 28 ounce cans of chopped tomatoes, drained, preferably fire roasted.
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled and put through a garlic press
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 – 4 whole cloves
- 4 pounds perfectly ripe tomatoes cored and coarsely chopped
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons cognac
- Sour cream Creme Fraiche or plain yogurt for garnish.
- Basil leaves for garnish
- Spray a 5-quart heavy enameled soup pot with the cooking spray. In it, melt the butter over medium beat. Add the onion and sautee until it starts to soften. About 3 minutes. Turn the heat down, add the garlic, basil, honey, cloves and cook stirring for two minutes. Add the tomatoes and raise heat to medium high and cook to evaporate the moisture, stirring frequently. When the tomatoes begin to turn into a bubbling, chunky liquid, 5 – 10 minutes, add the orange zest. Lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Let the mixture cool slightly. Pick out the cloves,. Add the orange juice and spoon the mixture into a food processor and puree in batches. Or you can use an emersion blender.
- Return the puree to the soup pot. Reheat over medium low heat stirring often. Taste and adjust with salt and pepper. Add a dab of tomato paste if the soup seems to need more oomph. You might want to add a little more honey. When soup is hot, just before serving stir in the cream and the cognac. Do not permit the soup to boil. Serve at one garnished with a dab of dairy of your choice. Add a bright fresh basil leaf to each bowl.
This soup can be made from canned tomatoes. Use 2 28 ounce cans of chopped tomatoes, drained.
Looking for more Creamy Tomato Soup Recipes? Take a look at:
Tomato Soup with Cognac and Orange …It’s what’s for Dinner.