Seems like I’ve gotten off to a bumpy 2014 blogging start. Projects…projects…projects at work, my computer was in the hospital for a week and then there’s this little Bronco “thing.”
Ohmygosh, this town has gone wild. We’re heading for the Superbowl and it’s been all encompassing with watching games, talking about games, watching more games and preparing food for games. And now of course we’re all strategizing about how to beat Seattle. Us Bronco fans are great 12th men. Very fun times in Bronco Country.
I made these Stuffed Avocados last weekend and wanted to share the recipe with you in case you’re looking for something out of the ordinary, or a substitute for the standby guacamole for an appetizer for the big game.
With just a little advanced prep of chopping and sauteeing, you can pop these in the oven for an easy, colorful and impressive appetizer for your Superbowl crowd.
These avocado halves are brushed with a flavorful vinaigrette, then filled with a savory chopped mushroom, onion, chile pepper and garlic mixture.
I’ve got a stash of roasted Hatch chiles in the freezer. But if you don’t you can just use any canned chile of your choice or even fresh jalapeño or Anaheim chiles.
Baked for fifteen minutes, they come out warm and creamy and can be served with flour tortillas or sturdy corn chips. I topped ours with a dollop of sour cream and a squeeze of lime and we dug in and loved every bite.
Stuffed Avocado Appetizer
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 lime juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 avocados
- For the filling:
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups button mushrooms chopped
- 2 Hatch chile roasted, stems removed and chopped (or canned chiles)
- 1 healthy pinch red pepper flakes or a few shakes of your favorite condiment to add spice and heat
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro leaves chopped
- Make the dressing for the avocados: In a small bowl, add the olive oil, vinegar and lime juice and whisk until well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Brush generously with the dressing allowing some to gather in the well of the avocado.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and sauté the onion over low heat until soft and golden. if using fresh chiles, devein, seed and fine chop. Add them to sauté with the onion. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and if using canned or roasted chiles, add them now and continue cooking and stirring until the mushrooms are browned. Stir in the cilantro and the hot spice and remove from heat.
- With a spoon, fill the avocados with the stuffing mixture. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, warmed flour tortillas or sturdy corn chips. Spoons for scooping out the avocados.
Stuffed Avocado Appetizer…It’s what’s for a Superbowl Appetizer.