Strawberry Chicken Salad with creamy poppyseed dressing. Make the most out of fresh strawberry season with this easy main course salad. Poppyseed dressing, fried chicken breast and strawberries are an absolutely wonderful main-course salad combination.
What to Cook For Dinner Tonight – Easy!
Cooking the chicken breasts while you assemble the rest of the ingredients, dinner will be the table pronto. Actually you’ll even have time for a glass of wine with your feet propped up on the coffee table for a few minutes. Priorities.
My point? Easy weeknight recipes like this quick Strawberry Chicken Salad are always welcome.
Fresh Strawberry Season
Strawberries are everywhere right now. And they’re big, plump and delicious.
You can’t walk into any market in Denver without a big display of baskets of perfect strawberries pleading to be adopted. And at good prices.
But from where did this glut of strawberries come?? It seems that the strawberry harvest in Florida was delayed due to lousy weather, and now their harvest is coinciding with the California harvest resulting in 80 million pounds of strawberries distributed in the U.S. all at once.
Results? Oh-so sweet prices.
A recent trip to Costco found a large flat of strawberries in my cart, in my car, and now in my refrigerator. Let’s make a salad! And let’s make that salad with one of my favorite dressings, creamy poppyseed dressing.
These strawberries are beautiful and perfect, they taste really good. But if you can find local fresh strawberries, grab as many as you can. I feel “strawberry ruined” after traveling to Oregon and feasting on fresh Oregon Strawberries. You haven’t lived until you’ve had the real thing. No comparison. Can’t even begin to describe the difference. A moment of silence please.
I look forward to Colorado Grown strawberries to hit out markets soon. If you can find them.
Creamy Poppyseed Dressing Recipe
Hands down, poppyseed dressing is my favorite salad dressing of all time. Creamy with mayo and sour cream, this recipe gets a kick of even more deliciousness by adding heavy cream. With cider vinegar to brighten and add a hint of tartness, it’s absolutely perfect in my books.
Oh sure, there are some brands you can buy at the store and they’re good. Panera Poppyseed Dressing is pretty darn god. But this recipe comes together in less than 5 minutes and the flavor and quality are superior to bottled. By far.
I hope you take the time to make homemade without the preservatives and crazy ingredients that you find in bottled.
Strawberry Chicken Salad – Make it With Almonds
Chicken breasts that are dusted with flour and then sauteed produce such a tender, juicy and flavorful end result.
The flour seals in all the goodness and texture that we look for in chicken breast. Once the chicken is cooked and juices run clear, remove to a plate with a paper towel and tent with foil. This will help to seal in those flavorful juices even more.
Slice the chicken before building the salad for easy to manage meal. I’ve added sliced almonds to my Strawberry and Chicken Salad. A little crunch is always a good thing.
Chopped mango adds a splash of yellow orange color. A colorful main course fried chicken salad that seems light and fresh in a hearty sort of way.
Of course you can saute chicken breasts without that coating of flour. It will save a bit on calories – and make this a gluten free strawberry salad. But a little compromise on the flavor scale. Unless you are eating gluten free, I simply wouldn’t skip the flour.
Recipe for Strawberry Chicken Salad with Creamy Poppyseed Dressing
I hope you give this Strawberry Chicken Salad recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating. And leave a comment about your experience with the recipe.
And if you have a favorite Fried Chicken Salad Recipe let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Summer Salad Recipes
- Avocado Mango Salad with Blue Cheese
- Peach Burrata Salad
- Grilled Peach Salad with Arugula and Goat Cheese
- Butter Lettuce Salad with Peaches and Pistachio Vinaigrette
And if you’re salad fans like us, don’t miss my post on 9 Secrets To A Remarkable Tossed Salad. A step by step guide on how to make the best tossed salad ever.
Strawberry Chicken Salad with Creamy Poppyseed Dressing
- 2 chicken breast halves Boneless, skinless, slightly pounded to even out thickness, dusted with flour and sautéed until golden and cooked through.
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoons oil vegetable or olive
- 2 fist fulls salad greens Romaine, spring greens, arugula, etc.
- 1 cup Strawberries washed, tops cut off and halved
- 1/2 small sweet onion thin sliced and halved
- 1/2 cup mango cubed
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- For the dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons sugar or honey
- 1 Tablespoon Sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Place flour on a plate and then dredge chicken breast to lightly coat with the flour. Salt and pepper the chicken.
- Heat a fry pa over medium high heat, add oil and when oil is hot, add chicken and sauté over medium heat until golden on each side and cooked through. About 6 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and tent with foil 5 minutes.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar and shake until blended.
- Slice the chicken breasts. Build your salad with the greens, the warm chicken, arrange strawberries and mango over the top, sprinkle with sliced almonds and drizzle with the dressing.
Strawberry Chicken Salad … It’s What’s for Dinner.