Turmeric Lentil Soup recipe. Healthy, and if you’re tight on time, easy enough for a weeknight dinner. And delicious enough that the whole family will rave. With carrots, fragrant cumin and warming turmeric. A crunchy topping sends this one over the top.
Easy Lentil Soup, Simple Ingredients
I’ve had this soup recipe for years, and what I love about it is that it combines the simplest of ingredients and renders it into hearty, filling and unbelievably healthy dish. And blows your expectations of lentils right out of the water. This soup also highlights the prowess of the almighty cumin seed. Lightly toasted, the aromas will find you leaning over the pan to take it all in.
It’s not all meat and potatoes here on the Ranch, I have to admit I’m somewhat of a cumin, curry, turmeric junkie. And beside the fact that they’re loaded with flavor, from what I read, they all come with health benefits. Did you know that turmeric is ingredient that gives curry it’s yellow color?
For now let’s take a look at this soup that highlights cumin seeds and turmeric.
This easy to prepare. Once you’ve diced and chopped the rest is a breeze. Then grab your immersion blender and puree. Top with some onion rings, serve a side of your favorite fresh green garden salad, a chunk of crusty bread and you’ve got a great dinner.
The vibrant color comes from a combination of the red lentils, carrots and turmeric. Beautiful to look at and loaded with flavor, I recommend you give it a try.
Recipe for Spicy Turmeric Lentil Soup
I hope you give this recipe for Turmeric Lentil Soup a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite lentil soup recipe or a soup recipe using turmeric, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Easy Healthy Soup Recipes
- Roast Turkey Lentil Barley Soup
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Ginger Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe
- Chipotle Apple Sweet Potato Soup
- Kale and White Bean Soup
And if you’re a fan of soups like we are, don’t miss my Soup Category. You’ll find tons of slurp worthy recipes. And the most popular soup recipe on my site, Anthony Bourdain’s New Mexico Chili Recipe.
If you’re tight on time, this is easy enough for a weeknight dinner and delicious enough that the whole family will rave. With carrots, fragrant cumin and warming turmeric, a crunchy topping sends this one over the top.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 ounces split red lentils washed
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Canned or frozen fried onion rings for garnish. Or frozen onion rings cooked according to package instructions.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add cumin seeds. When seeds begin to pop, add onion and cook until golden.
- Add garlic, carrots and celery and cook gently 10 minutes. Stir in all spices and cook 1 minute, then add lentils.
- Pour in stock. Add bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Process the soup to a puree. Season with salt and pepper. Gently reheat.
- Garnish with fried onion rings.
I used those canned onion bits from Whole Foods, because they were in the pantry left over from a mandatory Thanksgiving recipe for Green Bean casserole that I forgot to make. Wouldn’t this be beautiful with real live, real deal fried onion rings on top? Yum.
Pin Spicy Turmeric Lentil Soup Recipe for later
Looking for more healthy, hearty, loaded with flavor soup recipes? Take a look at this:
Or this healthy soup recipe with chicken:
Spicy Turmeric Lentil Soup…It’s What’s For Dinner.