Crock pot Southwestern Chicken is a super easy meal made with chicken breasts and canned and frozen vegetables. This recipe needs just 15 minutes prep time, so you’ll be out of the kitchen pronto.
This crock pot Southwestern chicken goes to the top of the list for delicious easy chicken dinner ideas. Check out some of our other favorites like Saucy Chicken Soft Tacos, Chicken Tortilla Soup, and Maple Glazed Grilled Chicken Kabobs.
And, I don’t care how many cooking classes or culinary schools we’ve all been to, everyone needs an easy dump and go crockpot weeknight dinner.
And this one simply can’t get any easier. Crock pot Southwestern Chicken is perfect for your back to school meal plans, as it’s comforting and the whole family will love it.
Easy and basic using canned black beans, frozen corn, and with a little pizzaz using your favorite salsa and chile peppers. Chicken breasts make this a hearty meal.
And the icing on the cake? A brick of cream cheese.
Slow Cookers are awesome. A magical pot in the kitchen that transforms food from ho-hum to tender and wonderful. And offer us the convenience of an effortless meal like this slow cooker chicken.
This is one of our favorite easy dinners and gets rave reviews when it travels to pot lucks.
Let’s take a look.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Salsa: Your favorite jarred brand.
- Frozen Corn
- Cream Cheese
- Chile Peppers, canned.
- Black Beans, canned, drained and rinsed.
- Chicken: Substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Salsa: If you make homemade salsa on a regular basis like I do, feel free to use that.
- Corn: Use canned corn in place of frozen corn. Drained.
- Chile Peppers: I always have a stash of Hatch Chile Peppers in the freezer. To make this recipe even easier, use canned Hatch chile peppers from the Mexican aisle.
- Beans: Use canned pinto beans or canned chile beans in place of black beans.
Step by Step Instructions, It’s So Easy
This recipe for crockpot Southwestern chicken is so easy, there’s just two steps. This is truly and dump and go chicken dinner.
- Step 1: Place chicken breast, corn, beans and salsa in a crockpot. Cook on low 4 – 5 hours.
- Step 2: Once cooked, top with a brick of cream cheese. Turn off heat and let sit for 30 minutes. Stir and serve.
Absolutely not. Unless you want to risk salmonella poisoning. Only used thawed chicken for any crockpot chicken recipe. Why? Frozen chicken will not likely reach the temperature of 165 within the “safe window” of time in a crockpot. It’s just too risky.
No. Even though this is a dump it and leave it type of meal, unlike tougher pieces of meat like a pot roast, you can over-cook chicken breasts. Even though they’re swimming in liquid, cooking chicken breasts too long will result in a dry texture. Don’t cook the chicken more than 4-5 hours.
Tips For Success
- Use Quality Ingredients. Less expensive over-sized large chicken breasts may contain injected liquid. This is called plumping. A saline solution is injected into the breasts so they’ll stay juicier. This solution will result in a watery end result with this recipe. Purchase quality chicken breasts from a reputable meat counter.
- If the chicken and vegetable mix is too thin, use a slotted spoon for serving. This will drain some of the liquid back into the pot.
- Tacos: I suggest small flour tortillas to make Southwest chicken tacos. Just use a slotted spoon to place some of the chicken vegetable mix onto a warmed flour tortilla. Top with grated cheese and chopped cilantro. A wedge of avocado would be nice here.
Feeding a Crowd?
- Once the chicken is cooked turn the crockpot to warm. Keep warm for up to a couple of hours. Just provide a large spoon to serve this southwest chicken and a big bowl of cooked rice, and let guests help themselves. I’ve done this for football game gatherings. Works great. All you need is a big green fresh salad for a side dish.
I hope you give this Crockpot Cream Cheese Chicken recipe a try. It’s really a tasty and super easy recipe. It makes a large batch, which is good because they’ll be asking for 2nd’s
More Easy Chicken Recipes
And, don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for more delicious recipes and cooking tips. Make it a delicious day … every day.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on my website, please leave a star rating in the recipe card below. And write a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback.
Crock Pot Southwestern Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves about 2 or 2 1/2 pounds
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 2 15 1/2-ounce cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa jarred, your favorite brand.
- 1 cup green chile peppers roasted, peeled, chopped. Or two 4 ounce cans.
- 8 ouncec cream cheese
- Place chicken breast, corn, beans, salsa and chile peppers in a crockpot. Cook on low 4 – 5 hours.
- Top with the brick of cream cheese. Turn off crock pot and let sit for 1/2 hour.
- Remove chicken and slice and return to crockpot. Stir ingredients in crock pot and serve over cooked rice.
Southwestern Crockpot Cream Cheese Chicken …It’s What’s for Dinner.