This Creamy Shrimp Salad with Lime Zest is perfect for a light meal, appetizer and would be a lovely selection for a ladies luncheon. How can anyone say no to shrimp, cream, mayo, celery and dill? A make ahead and travels well recipe.
We’ve been invited to several potluck parties over the coming weeks, so I’ve been looking for recipes that will travel well, that won’t compete with a main course and fit into the holiday rich and luxurious category.
This Creamy Shrimp Salad with Lime Zest can be made ahead of time and refrigerated several hours in advance. Served cold, it travels like a champ and will make an impressive addition to any party buffet. It’s a great make ahead salad recipe.
Ready for the big Turkey day? We’re spending the next few days in Kansas visiting my mom and cousins. We’ll be celebrating with a traditional Thanksgiving feast for our lunch time meal, followed by a Mexican feast for dinner.
Thanks to Jamie (my cousin’s daughter) for that request, this is going to be a killer food day. My contribution for the Mexican food, will be a cornbread dressing with jalapeño and chorizo. Wish me luck with that one, being the traditional sage white bread dressing lover, I’ve never worked with corn bread and broth.
Tis the season for baking and entertaining. I spent the weekend baking my stand-by holiday quick bread, Mom’s Banana Nut Bread. Twelve loaves to be exact.
Starting early Sunday morning, I was done just in time to watch a Broncos win over Miami. Some of these loaves will make the trip to Kansas and some a trip to the freezer to share with friends over the next few weeks. Another stand by Thanksgiving baking recipe is this Pumpkin Bread made with Pumpkin Ale. Goodness is it good. Let the holiday games begin. 🙂
Wishing everyone a safe and bountiful Thanksgiving filled with deliciousness, family and friends. Now let’s talk about this beautiful creamy shrimp salad recipe.
Recipe for Creamy Shrimp Salad
How can you go wrong with cream and mayo for a starting base for a salad. Blend in some citrus flavor with lime juice and lime zest. Add a little bit of crunch with celery. The crowning glory is adding dill. A luxurious recipe that works well for an appetizer or a light meal. One of our favorites that we make often.
More Shrimp Salad Recipes
- Shrimp Salad with Basil Oil
- Blackened Shrimp Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette
- Roasted Shrimp Salad with Avocado
Creamy Shrimp Salad with Lime Zest
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 6 cups cold water
- 2 1/2 lbs medium shrimp shelled and deveined
- 3 Tbs heavy cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tbs fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp finely grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 2 Tbs finely chopped dill
- 1 Tbs thinly sliced chives
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Prepare a bowl of ice water.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the kosher salt in the water. Add the shrimp and let stand for 30 seconds, then rinse well. Add the shrimp to the boiling water and cook until firm and pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the shrimp and transfer to the ice water to cool. Drain again and pat dry.
- In a bowl, beat the cream until stiff. Whisk in the mayonnaise, lime juice and zest, and stir in the celery, dill and chives. Add the shrimp and toss well. Season with table salt and pepper and serve.
- Make Ahead. The shrimp salad can be refrigerated for up to 5 hours. Serves 4.