What a fun #SundaySupper event. And especially for those of our group who are attending the Food and Wine Conference in Florida. As I’m typing this, they’re all meeting up at Tapa Toro Restaurant for an authentic Tapas experience.
If you’re not familiar, the #SundaySupper Movement was started by Isabel over at Family Foodie as a project for “bringing back Sunday supper around the family table.” Who can argue with that??? And a big thanks to Caroline of Caroline’s Cooking for hosting our event this week.
Now, back to this tapas celebration. The restaurant who is hosting our event is Tapa Toro. They combine contemporary Spanish cuisine with a vibrant, energetic atmosphere – bringing a fresh dining experience to the I-Drive 360 area in Orlando, FL. Their unique paella pit, wonderful tapas menu, and extensive selection of imported wines will guide you through a culinary journey of Spanish flavors and culture in the heart of Central Florida.
Man would I love to be enjoying that paella pit with the group, but I’m here in Colorado joining in long distance. I look forward to seeing photos.
We love eating tapas style for dinner in our house. It seems like you never get full and you don’t tire of eating the same thing. One of my favorite tapas ideas are these Gazpacho Shooters. You should check it out
And doesn’t everything taste better bite size? And then there are those sips of Spanish wine in between all of those bites. It’s a natural party.
My contribution to this tapas event are Shrimp Romesco Bites. Romesco is a nut and red pepper-based sauce that originated in Tarragona Catalonia in Northeastern Spain. The fishermen in this area made this sauce to eat with fish. And just look at that vibrant Mediterranean color. Roasted red bell pepper and paprika are to blame…For my Romesco, I used almonds, smoked paprika and some sherry vinegar. Using my food processor, this came together in a flash. And the flavor is of this sauce is as stunning as the color.
To make things easy, I used purchased Naan bread. Just use a cookie cutter, or in this case a lid to cut out rounds to assemble the base of this tapas appetizer.
Place the rounds on your favorite serving platter and everything after this is easy. Just spoon a little of the Romesco sauce onto the rounds and top with shrimp that’s been cooked and then tossed with lemon zest.
The sweet tang of the lemoned shrimp and the exciting flavors of the Romesco are a natural combo. Add in the chewy texture of the naan bread and it’s a great tapas bite.
- For the Romesco Sauce:
- 1 large roasted red bell pepper from a jar
- 1 clove garlic smashed
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 1/4 cup tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the Shrimp
- 1/2 pound shrimp
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest
- Naan bread to build the Shrimp Romesco Bites
- Pulse first 8 ingredients in a food processor until very finely chopped. With motor running, slowly add oil; process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Romesco can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and chill.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring water to a boil on stovetop. Add salt and 1 lemon that's been halved and squeeze some of the juice in the water. To cook the shrimp, drop in the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Drain the shrimp in a colander and top with ice cubes to help them cool and stop cooking. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails on. Once you can handle them, remove shells, and devein leaving tails on.
- In a bowl, place the lemon zest and then toss the shrimp well to coat.
- To build the Shrimp bites, cut rounds out of purchased naan or flatbread. To build the bites, place the rounds on a platter, top with a smear of the romesco and then place the shrimp on top.
It’s great fun to sit on the back deck, with some small bite plates and a glass of wine. Take a look at all of the ideas our #SundaySupper group has come up with.
Para Empezar, Las Tapas (Appetizers/tapas) –
- Apple, Chorizo, and Manchego Crostini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Champiñones al Ajillo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chorizo and Sweet Potato Spanish Tortilla Bites by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus & Fennel Marinated Olives by Go Epicurista
- Clams Casino Dip with Bacon by Girl Abroad
- Crab Enchilado Empanadas with Avocado Cream by Gourmet Everyday
- Deviled Eggs with Shrimp by Our Good Life
- Gambas al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp) by Pook’s Pantry
- Garlicky Shrimp with Pancetta Olive Oil by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Gazpacho Cucumber Bites by A Mind Full Mom
- Gildas Picantes – Spicy Anchovy Olive Skewers by Food Lust People Love
- Herbed and Spiced Almonds by Get the Good Stuff!
- How to make Beef Sweet Sour Meatballs with Pineapple for #SundaySupper by Asian In America
- Manchego Cheese & Chorizo Bites with Saffron Alioli by Hardly A Goddess
- Margarita Ceviche by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pinchos Morunos (Spanish Pork Skewers) with Mojo Picon by Curious Cuisiniere
- Roasted Bell Pepper Goat Cheese Bites by She Loves Biscotti
- Roasted Eggplant and Piquillo Pepper Toasts by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Roasted Red Peppers and Anchovies with Bruschetta by The Hungry Goddess
- Seared Scallops with Shredded Manchego and a Bleu Cheese Crumble by The Freshman Cook
- Serrano Ham & Goat Cheese Croquettes by My World Simplified
- Serrano Ham Bites with Melon and Cheese by Palatable Pastime
- Shrimp Romesco Bites by Cooking On The Ranch
- Smoked Sardine Crostini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spanish Garlic Shrimp by Life Tastes Good
- Tomato Gazpacho With Fried Avocado Bites by Nik Snacks
- Tortilla de Camarones by The Healthy Fit Foodie
- Tortilla Española by Monica’s Table
- White Wine Marinated Steak with Blue Cheese by Caroline’s Cooking
- Zanahorias Aliñadas (Spanish Marinated Carrots) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Postres (Desserts) –
- Buñuelos de Viento by Dessert Geek
- Chocolate Orange Macarons by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Chocolate Toasts with Apricot Jam by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Churro Bites with Chocolate Sauce by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Churro Cupcakes by Pies and Plots
- Mini Vanilla Flans by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Dulce de Leche Cheesecakes by The Redhead Baker
Bebidas (Drinks) –
- Tinto de Verano ~ A Sangria alternative by An Appealing Plan
Plus Alcachofas al Ajillo – Garlicky Artichokes – and Spanish Tapas Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board