Here’s a thing I’ve been trying to do since the year began that’s made me a happier kitchen-eer. First of all, let me reveal that I’m very impressionable when it comes to what I choose to cook. When I see it, I like it, I want to make it that day … some of the time. There is a level of procrastination. I’ve decided to make urgency more of a habit. Don’t pin it to my “must make soon” board. Don’t print it and stick it in a binder. Just make it and dig in. Or, make it and guinea pig it out. My friends sure like that idea.
I’m a beet fan. You either hate them or like them. But believe it or not, my How to Make Pickle Beets post is one of my all time popular posts on my blog. I was as floored as you are right now.
And for some reason, when I see a beet salad recipe, I want it and I want it now. This one caught my eye and I’m very glad I gave it a try. It’s clever, it’s pretty and the sweet and tangy flavors are luxurious with a raspberry vinaigrette. You should give this one a try. I can’t imagine a main course meat dish that this wouldn’t go with. Well, except Pan Fried Chicken and Gravy. You have to serve mashed potatoes. It’s the rules.
And did I mention it’s healthy as all get out?
- 6-8 small to medium orange beets roasted then peeled and quartered
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts toasted
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 6 tangerines
- 4 small shallots thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- Peel the tangerines and squeeze the juice from one of the tangerines in a bowl.
- In another small bowl, toss the sliced shallots and raspberry vinegar with a pinch of salt and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the tangerine juice and the remaining 1/4 cup of vegetable oil and season the dressing with salt.
- Arrange the beets and tangerine sections on plates and drizzle with the dressing. Top with the toasted pine nuts.
Salad of Tangerine and Golden Beet … It’s what’s for a Salad.
And how about this Pickled Beet Salad with Arugula and Feta? Another good one.