This is a Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe made creamy and elegant using Camembert cheese and cottage cheese. A French version, Potage Creme de Fromage, is an easy way to bring a little slice of elegance to a comfort food classic.
My mom put her humble easier than easy potato soup recipe on the dinner table at least once a week while I was growing up. Simple with ingredients, old fashioned in nature, and so big on flavor, her potato soup is definitely towards the top of my comfort food list.
Culinary School took my potato soup experience to a whole new level by introducing me to this French classic, Potage Creme de Fromage. Which simply translate to cheesy potato soup.
And I have to admit, this version is probably the best potato soup recipe I’ve ever eaten.
This soup is so different than my mom’s, so I can’t compare apples to apples, this version is so thick and rich and well, potato-y.
Made rich and delightful with Camembert cheese and a surprise ingredient, cottage cheese, let’s take a look at this cheesy potato soup.
What Is Camembert Cheese?
Camembert cheese is similar to Brie cheese. It’s a cow’s milk cheese that originated in Normandy, France. It’s creamy in texture with an edible rind. The flavor has been described as mushroomy, garlicky nutty and fruity. Camembert has a more intense flavor than brie, but the two can be interchangeable.
Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe, Potage Creme de Fromage
If you’re looking for a beautiful cream of potato soup, look no further.
The French know their “creamy”. Now and then I like to make this fancier version using Camembert and cottage cheese. It most certainly lives up to its high falutin’ name, Potage Creme de Fromage.
French Cheesy Potato Soup, (Potage Creme de Fromage)
- 2 Tablespoon butter unsalted
- 1 medium sweet onion finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 2-3 medium potatoes peeled and small chopped
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2/3 Cup milk
- 4 ounces Camembert cheese rind removed
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Gently cook onion and celery in butter for 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Place chopped potatoes in pan. Gradually stir in stock and milk. Bring to a simmer and cook 15 minutes. (or until potatoes are tender) Cut cheese in small pieces. Add cheese and cottage cheese to soup. Stir 2 – 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with chives.
Cheesy Potato Soup …It’s What’s for Dinner.