This is a Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe made creamy and elegant using Camembert cheese and cottage cheese. A French version, Potage Creme de Fromage, is an easy way to bring a little slice of elegance to a comfort food classic.
My mom put her easier than easy potato soup recipe on the dinner table at least once a week while I was growing up. Simple with ingredients, and so big on flavor, it’s definitely towards the top of my comfort food list. I make it on a regular basis also, but never seem to think it tastes as good as what she made. Probably just a childhood memory playing tricks on me, since I make it exactly like she did.
Not really a recipe, she would just peel and small cube potatoes. Place them in a saucepan with just enough water to cover. Add about one half onion which has been finely chopped. Salt and pepper and simmer until potatoes are just cooked through.
Add two tablespoons butter and about two cups milk. Heat until butter is melted and milk is steaming. Serve with Saltine crackers. That’s all there was to it. Delicious.
I stumbled across this heartier version and couldn’t resist giving it a try, and I have to admit, this the best potato soup recipe I’ve ever made. Different than my mom’s, so I can’t compare apples to apples, this version is so thick and rich and well, potato-y.
If you’re looking for a beautiful cream of potato soup, look no further. The French know their “creamy”. Now and then I like to make this fancier version using Camembert and cottage cheese. It also comes with a high falutin’ name, Potage Creme de Fromage.
Let’s take a look at this cheesy potato soup.
Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe, Potage Creme de Fromage
I hope you give this beautiful and simple potato soup recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating. Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite potato soup recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
Potato Soup With Cheese, (Potage Creme de Fromage)
- 2 Tablespoon butter unsalted
- 1 medium sweet onion finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 2-3 medium potatoes peeled and small chopped
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2/3 Cup milk
- 4 ounces Camembert cheese rind removed
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Gently cook onion and celery in butter for 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Place chopped potatoes in pan. Gradually stir in stock and milk. Bring to a simmer and cook 15 minutes. (or until potatoes are tender) Cut cheese in small pieces. Add cheese and cottage cheese to soup. Stir 2 – 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with chives.
Looking for more potato soup recipe ideas? You won’t want to miss:
Recipe Link>> White Wine Chicken Potato Vegetable Soup
Potato Soup …It’s What’s for Dinner.