Salmon filets are flavored beautifully with an orange zest and topped with a creamy yogurt caper sauce. An easy and healthy salmon dinner recipe.
It started years ago, a tradition called Salmon Saturday. In an attempt to bring structure and health to our diet, I thought tagging a cute name to a weekly meal would help us keep on track to eat salmon once a week. I suppose I’ve not blogged much about it, because I usually turn to my no-fail recipes Lemon Lime Salmon. One of our favorites, this is an entrée that I even take to the campground. Prepped at home and wrapped in foil, it’s a delicious treat cooked over a campfire surrounded by Ponderosa Pines, our crisp mountain air and the towering Rocky Mountains.
And we can’t forget, experts preach ad nauseum about salmon’s health benefits.
Salmon Sense: Salmon is rich in Omega-3, which has several health benefits to its credit. Its Omega-3 content, along with the niacin and vitamin 12, are extremely beneficial for cardiovascular health.
Orange Roasted Salmon with Yogurt Caper Sauce. What really attracted me to this recipe was the combination of citrus and capers…two of my favorite things to add to savory dishes. Not being a “plain yogurt” fan, I really wanted to haul out the sour cream for a substitute, but I stayed the course and used yogurt. Elegant enough to serve for a dinner party, easy enough for a week night meal, we liked it, it’s a keeper and I now have three salmon recipes in my database. I’ll make this one again.
Let’s take a look.
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more for the baking sheet
- 2 1 inch thick salmon filets skin-on, center-cut, about 6 oz. each, pin bones removed
- 1-1/2 teaspoon orange zest finely grated
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 Cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley fine chopped
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons capers drained, rinsed, and chopped
- 1 Tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F. Lightly oil a heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet.
- Arrange the salmon skin side down on the baking sheet, drizzle with 1 Tbs. of the olive oil, and sprinkle with 1 tsp. of the orange zest, the salt, and a few grinds of black pepper. Gently rub the seasonings into the fish. Let sit at room temperature while the oven heats.
- Combine the yogurt in a small bowl with the remaining 1 T, of olive oil, 1/2 t. orange zest, and the parsley, capers, and orange juice. Stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. The sauce can be made up to several hours ahead and kept refrigerated.
- Roast the salmon until just cooked through, with a trace of bright pink in the center (cut into a piece to check), 10 to 15 minutes. Serve immediately, drizzled with the yogurt sauce.
Orange Roasted Salmon with Yogurt Caper Sauce …It’s What’s for Salmon Saturday Dinner.