My friend Kathy brought this to one of our Wednesday Wine Night events and I hadn’t even swallowed my first bite before I was screaming for the recipe.
It’s basically just bread that’s been scored and then mushrooms and Swiss cheese are stuffed in the crevices. Oh…and there’s lots of butter involved.
Sprinkle with some poppy seeds and bake and you’ve got yourself an oozy-gooey cheesy pull-apart mushroom bread appetizer. I took this to a party at friend Karen’s house for a cookbook celebration and had several requests for the recipe.
Mushroom Bread Appetizer
- 1 loaf Vienna bread
- 1 pound Swiss cheese grated
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms rough chopped
- 3 green onions thin sliced
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- Score bread both directions without cutting through. Stuff with cheese and mushrooms. Sprinkle on onion, poppy seeds and salt. Mix melted butter, lemon juice, mustard. Drizzle over top. Completely wrap with foil and put on cookie sheet. Bake 350 degrees for one hour.
Mushroom Bread…It’s What’s for an Appetizer.