Traditional Mexican Christmas Salad. Beautiful in color, fresh and delicious, perfect for your Mexican themed dinner menu.
When researching salad recipes for my Mexican Christmas dinner menu, this colorful Mexican Christmas Salad jumped out with festive enthusiasm in almost every search result. Each recipe was a little different but the list of ingredients the same, including lettuce, beets, oranges, bananas, jicima, pomegranate seeds, peanuts and even small hard candies.
A pinata in a bowl if you will.
I really couldn’t find much of a history, or where this recipe originated, just the reoccurring theme of beets and fruit, served in a glass bowl and is a traditional salad during the holidays in Mexico and in the Southwest. All in all, you couldn’t ask for a more eye-catching dish.
With the glass bowl and layering of colorful ingredients, it almost reminded me of an English trifle.
It was promptly placed on my menu and all I had to do was pick through the array of ingredients and decide upon a creamy or vinaigrette dressing. Yes, there were as many versions of dressings as salad ingredients. I chose this creamy Red Chile Buttermilk Ranch Dressing.
- A salad that you practically had to wear sunglasses to look at
- A salad that was a little hard to dish up, I would chop next time instead of slice
- A salad that was incredibly festive on my Mexican Feast table
- The creamy dressing was absolutely delicious, especially using a Mexican style sour cream
- A delightful concoction that has now found a place in my recipe database (minus the hard candies)
Let’s take a look.
Recipe for Traditional Mexican Christmas Salad
I hope you give this Mexican Christmas Salad Recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating and leave a comment about your experience with the recipe.
And if you have a traditional Mexican Christmas recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
And if you’re salad fans like us, don’t miss my post on 9 Secrets To A Remarkable Tossed Salad. A step by step guide on how to make the best tossed salad ever.
A traditional Christmas Eve Mexican Salad.
- 2 red beets roasted peeled and sliced
- 2 golden beets roasted peeled and sliced
- 1 small jicama peeled and sliced
- 1 navel orange peeled and sliced
- 1 head romaine lettuce coarsely chopped
- Seeds of one pomegranate
- 1 handful peanuts chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream Mexican brand if you can find it
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 canned chipotle chile minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Layer all ingredients in a glass bowl lightly salting and peppering as you go.
- For the dressing: In a medium sized bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk until well blended.
Recipes for my Christmas Mexican Dinner Menu:
Mexican Christmas Eve Salad …It’s What’s for the Holidays.