Does it get any more Summery? Grilled Scallops with Honeydew Avocado Salsa is a beautiful combination of flavors.
Don’t be afraid that scallops are too delicate. Grilling scallops is one of the best ways to prepare them. The smoky flavor pairs well with the sweet meat flavor. And paired with an avocado melon relish, you’ll be wanting to eat this all season long.
To go with grilled scallops, create this version of salsa verde by combining sweet honeydew and buttery avocado in a fruit salsa (yes, avocado is a fruit). The salsa is what wine geeks call “round in flavor,” meaning it’s not too tart or tangy, and it would be excellent with an equally “round” oaked California Chardonnay. Kendall Jackson’s Vintner’s Reserve would be a nice choice.
Serve this with Grilled Romaine and Asparagus Salad with Pine Nut Vinaigrette for a wonderful Summer meal.
- Finely grated lime zest plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1 1/2 pounds honeydew melon 2 1/2 cups, rind removed and melon cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 Hass avocado cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds large sea scallops
- Light a grill. In a large bowl, combine the lime zest and juice with the 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the diced honeydew melon and avocado. Season the salsa with salt and black pepper.
- Drizzle the scallops with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until nicely charred and just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the scallops to plates, spoon the salsa alongside and serve.
Grilled Scallops with Honeydew Avocado Salsa … It’s what’s for Dinner.