Cumin-spiced lamb on a bed of jicama, carrot and lettuce.
I know this doesn’t look like much, but please believe me, this grilled lamb salad recipe is “much”!
Maybe I should have put a shiny fork across the salad bowl. But not to fret, I’ll have plenty more photography chances with this one as I’ll definitely be serving it up over and over.
I found this on Sunday while leisurely catching up on food magazine reading. You see, I have this pile of food magazines next to the bed that can get quite unruly if I get behind on my reading. My husband calls it the “Rat’s Nest”.
Currently in the Rat’s Nest, you’ll find Food and Wine, Bon Appetit, Saveur, Sunset, The Food Network Magazine…Oh, I guess you can count Wine Spectator too, since some of those wineries can put out some great little recipes here and there.
I’ve been wanting to prepare lamb since Easter and haven’t done it, so this recipe with its interesting combination of lamb and cumin vinaigrette promptly received a sticky note to mark its location.
This salad is as texturally interesting as it is in flavor. Matchstick pieces of jicama, cucumber and carrot all with different levels of “crunch” make a fabulous combination as well as looking quite pretty. And tossed with that Cumin Vinaigrette…Lordy! Delicious. So delicious that you almost forget about those tender slices of grilled leg-0-lamb until they melt in your mouth with flavor.
Did I mention easy? Especially easy using a mandolin for those matchsticks. Take a look:
I love Chef Sang Yoon’s comment for this creation: “Lamb seasoned with cumin is very Indian, as well as Sichuan and Yunnan. But no one in Asia would serve lamb on a salad; that’s just me being Californian”.
Grilled Lamb Salad Recipe with Cumin Vinaigrette
- 1 pound boneless leg of lamb 1 piece – about 3 inches thick
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil plus more for rubbing
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 4 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 6 ounces jicama peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 large carrot cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium cucumber seeded, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup basil shredded, plus 4 sprigs
- 2 red jalapeños or green, seeded and sliced
- 4 cilantro sprigs
- Light a grill. Rub the lamb with oil, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the cumin and season with salt and black pepper. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the vinegar, honey, mustard and the remaining 1 teaspoon of cumin. Whisk in the 1/4 cup of oil and season with salt and white pepper.
- Grill the lamb over moderate heat, turning a few times, until charred and medium-rare, about 12 minutes. Transfer the lamb to a carving board; let rest for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the romaine with the jicama, carrot, cucumber, shredded basil and jalapeños. Add the dressing and toss well. Transfer to plates. Thinly slice the lamb and arrange the slices on the salad. Garnish with the cilantro and basil sprigs and serve.
Grilled Lamb Salad With Cumin Vinaigrette…It’s What’s For Dinner