These Grilled Chicken Tacos come alive with a marinade of lime juice and pureed tomatoes. A rub of chile powder before grilling and crisp fresh vegetables and you’ve got a festive and flavorful and easy taco meal.
A warm steamy corn tortilla filled with shredded grilled chicken breast, crunchy ribbons of sweet onions, red and orange bell pepper and fresh red cabbage, all drizzled with a finishing sauce of a combination of sour cream and Roasted Tomatillo Salsa = a Summer fresh chicken taco recipe.
It all started with a finishing sauce Chris created over at I saw over at “Nibble Me This” Chris simply combined sour cream and a fajita marinade to create a sauce to drizzle over his fajitas. I took his cue and combined 1/2 cup sour cream with 5 tablespoons of my Homemade Roasted Tomatillo Salsa and created this finishing sauce for these grilled chicken tacos. The tangy salsa thins the sour cream and create a flavorful drizzle for any Mexican dish.
2. This month’s Food and Wine Magazine has a great article on taco trucks which includes some tantalizing photos and unique taco combinations. A brining technique for grilled chicken tacos looked easy and interesting, so I used their method of marinating the chicken breasts overnight before firing up the Weber. My marinade consists of tomatoes, and lime juice. After grilled, the chicken had a tangy lime flavor and grilling with skin on and bone in, a moist end result.
3. My refrigerator was incredibly inspiring for this recipe. Yup, needed to use up some of that expensive produce sitting in the vegetable bin.
Hence these Tomato Lime Marinated Grilled Chicken Tacos were born. The marinade for the chicken produced a flavorful outcome. A perfect side dish for these tacos would be this Mexican Green Rice or Cowboy Beans. In this article you’ll also find a sure fire method to perfectly heat soft and pliable corn tortillas.
How To Warm Soft Corn Tortillas:
Rick Bayless instructs this method for heating corn tortillas: On a clean kitchen towel sprinkle 3 T. water. Place a stack of corn tortillas on the towel and fold the towel around the tortillas. Place into a large Ziploc bag, folding the top of the bag. Do not seal. Cook in microwave 4 minutes at 50% power and then let rest two minutes.
Let’s take a look:
Recipe for Grilled Chicken Tacos Marinated in Tomatoes and Lime
I hope you give these grilled chicken tacos a try and if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating and leave a comment about your experience with the recipe.
And if you have a favorite grilled chicken taco recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Chicken Taco Recipes
- Roasted Bell Pepper Black Bean Chicken Tacos, A healthy taco recipe that you’ll will wow your crowd and one you’ll want to make over and over. One of the best taco recipes I’ve ever made.
- Saucy Chicken Soft Tacos, This easy recipe for Mexican Chicken Tacos using shredded chicken breasts will shake up your Taco Tuesdays.
- Chipotle Chicken Salad Tacos, Rotisserie chicken, red skin potatoes, avocado, romaine tossed in a tingling chipotle vinaigrette and you’ve got a cool filling for warm tortillas.
These Tomato and Lime Marinated Grilled Chicken Tacos come alive with a marinade of lime juice and pureed tomatoes. A rub of festive chile powder before grilling and finished with a crunch of fresh onion, cabbage and bell peppers, voila, you’ve got a flavorful and simple taco meal.
- 2 Chicken breasts bone in, skin on
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup fresh lime juice
- 1 Cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon Chile Powder New Mexico or Ancho
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 head Red cabbage thin sliced
- 1 Red bell pepper thin sliced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper thin sliced
- 1 Sweet onion thin sliced
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 5 Tablespoons Homemade Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- Mexican Queso crumbling cheese and chopped cilantro for garnish
- 12 soft corn tortillas warmed
Combine tomatoes, lime juice, water and salt in a blender and puree. Place chicken breasts in a Ziploc bag along with the puree and marinate/brine for 2 hours.
Remove chicken from bag, pat dry, rub with oil and then paprika. Discard marinade. Grill until done. When chicken is cool enough to handle. Remove the meat and cut into chunks for the tacos.
In the meantime prepare the toppings for your tacos. Slice the cabbage, bell peppers and sweet onions.
Prepare the sour cream sauce by combining the sour cream and the Homemade Roasted Tomatillo Salsa.
To serve, warm the corn tortillas. Place pieces of chicken in tortillas. I like to double them up. Each taco consisting of two tortillas. Top with cabbage, bell peppers and onion. Drizzle with the Sour Cream Tomatillo Salsa Sauce. Serve immediately.
To plate: Thinly slice grilled chicken breasts. Place fillings and chicken slices onto warm tortillas, drizzle with the finishing sauce. Provide a wedge of lime to squeeze over tacos.
Tomato Lime Marinated Grilled Chicken Tacos …It’s What’s For Dinner!