Bring the flavors of Greece into your kitchen with these Lemony Greek Stuffed Bell Peppers.
Not your mother’s stuffed bell peppers. This recipe used lemon, thyme to flavor the rice and with raisins and olives, this is a delicious Mediterranean version.
Rice is seasoned with lemon, thyme and garlic and with the addition of raisins, tomatoes and onions, you’ll be smitten. a splash of Castelvetrano olives puts this one over the top. This wonderful mixture of vibrant flavors can also be used for a stuffing for tomatoes.
You can use a healthier brown rice, but I used basmati because it’s what I had on hand.
This is a great Greek side dish that will make a regular appearance on our table.
- 2 orange or yellow bell peppers tops sliced off and insides cleaned
- 1 cup basmati rice rinsed
- 1/2 sweet onion chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1/2 red or green pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup green olives quartered
- 2 -3 T . olive oil
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 T dried thyme
- Tablespoon Chop any fresh herb you have ( oregano thyme, basil, ) a of each
- 2 C . vegetable broth.
- 1/4 -1/2 C fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts ( optional)
- 1/2 cup Castelvetrano olives pitted and quartered
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil until hot. Add rice, onion, chopped bell pepper and sautee for about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, olives, raisins, thyme, lemon juice and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add broth, salt and cracked pepper and the fresh herbs. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid and continue to cook on low until rice is soft . When you turn off the heat, leave the lid on to steam for about 15 more minutes . Uncover and toss in toasted pine nuts ( optional) Stuff the peppers with the rice mixture. Bake the peppers for 20 minutes. I used a tall pyrex dish, sprayed with PAM so the peppers wouldn't tip over. I had plenty of rice left over which on it's own was delicious for a side dish the next day.
Lemony Greek Stuffed Bell Peppers…It’s What’s for Dinner.