This meal was an invention using food that needed to be used or “losed”. A fresh pineapple on the counter, bell peppers and a half can of coconut milk in the fridge, red onions in the basement that were starting to sprout, chicken thighs in the freezer…we’ve all been there.
Using the grill to add smoky flavor and mixing a little brown sugar into the coconut milk to drizzle over cooked rice, thin slicing a jalapeno that was loitering in the vegetable bin, I came up with this East meets West dinner that we thought was mighty tasty.
I started the rice in my electric rice cooker then simply sprinkled chicken thighs with curry powder and tossed them on a sizzling grill.
I grilled the chicken thighs for about 20 minutes, turning every five minutes, or so, to insure even cooking and browning. I then added the sliced onion, quartered red bell peppers and chunks of pineapple. I used the grill sheet for the pineapple so none would slip through the grate. In about 10 minutes, the fruit and vegetables were nice and browned and the chicken done, and it was off to the kitchen to plate.
Simply spoon some rice into a shallow serving bowl. Pour a little of the coconut milk over the rice and then top with a chicken thigh, the pineapple and vegetables. Sprinkle with some thin sliced jalapeno and chopped cilantro leaves. Voila, a summery grilled meal.
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1 t . curry powder
- 1/2 red sweet pepper seeded
- 1/4 fresh pineapple large chunks
- 1/2 inch red onion sliced about 1/2 thick
- 1 jalapeño pepper deveined, deseeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 t . packed brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Basmate Rice
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Sprinkle chicken with the curry powder and salt and pepper. Grill for 30 minutes. I turn them every 8 minutes or so for even cooking. For remaining 15 minutes of chicken grill time, brush pepper, pineapple and onion slices with olive oil. Place on grill with chicken.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the coconut milk on low. Add in brown sugar.
- To serve: Spoon some rice into a large bowl. Pour some of the coconut milk over the rice. Top with a piece of chicken, and the grilled vegetables and pineapple. Garnish with sliced jalapeno and chopped cilantro leaves.
Curry Grilled Chicken with Pineapple, Red Onions and Coconut Rice…It’s What’s for Dinner.