Exactly What is Cube Steak
Cube steak or cubed steak is usually round steak or top sirloin steak. It is pre-tenderized by using a meat tenderizer. Commercially this is done with an electric meat tenderizer. The name comes from the shape of the indentations made by the tenderizer machine or hand held mallet.
Cube steak is the most common cut of meat used for everybody’s favorite, Chicken Fried Steak.
Personally, I’ve not had good luck purchasing cube steak from the meat case at my grocery store. Seems I end up with gristle pockets and a tough piece of meat. I recommend purchasing a good quality Beef Top Sirloin Filet and asking your butcher to slice the thick steak horizontally and then cubing the two pieces of meat.
Quick, cheap and tasty! This Easy Cube Steak Recipe with Lime Mojo is a great little weeknight dinner.
- The marinade of spices, orange and lime juice comes together easily.
- While the steaks are soaking you can slice the peppers and onions.
- Cube steaks cook up in less than five minutes.
And voila…you’re eating dinner before Alex Trebek has had a chance to announced the categories.
Let’s take a look:
An easy weeknight beef dinner recipe. With a Mexican flair.
- 8 cloves garlic medium sized, peeled
- Kosher salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano fine chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice from about 4 medium limes
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice from about 1 large orange
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 beef cube steaks 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 pounds total
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 large white onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper cored and thinly sliced
- In a mortar, lightly crush the garlic with a pestle. Sprinkle with 2 tsp. salt and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the oregano, cumin, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper and mash until a paste forms. Transfer to a medium bowl and add the lime juice, orange juice, and sugar; whisk until well combined.
- Lay the steaks in a 9×13-inch glass or ceramic dish and pour the garlic mixture (the mojo) over them. Let the steaks marinate for no more than 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over high heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook, stirring constantly until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the steaks to the pan along with 2 Tbs. of the mojo (discard the rest). Cook for 2 minutes, flip, add the onions and peppers, cover, and cook for 1 minute more. Uncover and continue cooking until the meat is just cooked through, about 2 minutes more.
- Serve the steaks topped with the onions, peppers, and a drizzle of the cooked mojo.
Cube Steak with Lime Mojo…It’s What’s for Dinner.